Cigars and diving: good or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tomorrow is the big day, I'm flying out to Key Largo to jump back in the ocean and do a lot of diving....very psyched, can't wait.

I tend to smoke 1 cigar literally every month due to my work schedule and things to do around the house over the weekend, which is a good thing so I don't get hooked or make a bad habit out of it. The only time I do smoke more often is when I'm on vacation. For the 6 days I'll be in KL, I'm bringing 5 cigars (mild to mild/medium) with me to have at night by the hotel pool/wherever I can smoke.

Does anyone here that smokes cigars feel it inhibits their breathing or performance the next morning? In other words, do you feel stuffed up, pressure in the chest....any differences whatsoever?

This is just curiosity what your preferences are. I'll most likely have an early dinner, smoke a cigar while I'm lounging somewhere on the road (bar or even better a lounge chair on a beach), come back to my hotel, brush/rinse and go to bed. I've noticed doing it that way I have way less of that heavy tobacco taste in my throat.

PS: Going to continue my diet while on this trip but also going to keep it real - 1 to 2 small meals/day, work out early morning then diving. Lost 41 lbs since Jan 4th, don't want to blow it now!! :)

Ive never noticed any issues with a few cigars during a dive trip.

Eric,

I may be reading into the question, but from what you've written it appears that you notice enough of a difference in your breathing after you smoke a cigar to cause you to be concerned about diving the next day. Is that the case?

Best regards,
DDM

I dont smoke but two of the instructors I work with do and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. During surface intervals they will take a smoke brake and be read for the next dive.

I'm bringing 5 cigars (mild to mild/medium) with me to have at night by the hotel pool/wherever I can smoke.

My biggest concern would be the non-smokers who would also like to be at the pool. Your cigar usage affects more than you. :(

I like a nice cigar every once in a blue moon. I try to avoid them the evening before a dive 'cause they make my reg taste funny. Of course that may have to do with how good the Scotch was...

One of the best parts of going on a dive trip is the cigars! I'll smoke a couple in the evening after a dive and no problem the next day. Now my brother-in-law who smokes three packs of cigs a day is another story. Uses air at twice my rate.

I used to smoke 2-3 cigars a day and never had a problem diving. Since I've quit several years ago I haven't noticed a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom