Regular barotrauma. What can I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NZAnna

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I have done upwards of 50 dives in the last year or so however equalizing has never really got any easier. I can successfully clear my ears on land and will often "inflate" before I hit the water no problem, but I just cant seem to equalize once in the water.

So I usually descend down an anchor line really slowly often holding my nose and blowing constantly. I always get pain which only subsides with time and perseverance, so i think what is actually happening is that i get barotrauma and the fluid in my sinuses allows the pressure to subside. The question is whether I should be worried about this. Well, I am actually worried, but rather whether this is something that could cause long term damage. I have never had a dive where my ears are normal afterwards - they are usually "full" for many days after.

If I can clear my ears on land, even by wiggling my jaw, why is it that the hold nose and blow method just isn't working for me. I've tried a few natural sinus clearing tablets but they dont really work. Could this be more likely that my passages are just a bit too damaged or something similar that I will always, bleed, get damaged after every dive?

Any ideas welcome!!
Thanks

In my own experience, not being any type of medical expert, I have to make sure my ears are ready to clear as trying to clear them before or after the right depth, they will not clear properly. Free diving causes the worst issues and I may make a half dozen dives before I can clear properly. On tanks I can adjust my depth to make it right. Trying hard to clear ones ears when it is not actually needed can cause as much problems as not clearing when it is necessary.

It is a bit hard for me to explain something I do by feel.

The big thing is not to continue a dive until you get your ears equalizing properly for the depth. Once you feel how to equalize properly, it will be easier on following dives. If you can find someone to work with in person, it will probably help you better than I can here.

Good Luck

Bob

I wonder if you aren't very sensitive to the discomfort of pressure changes, and you let yourself get too far down before you try to clear? You can try pressurizing your ears before you ever descend -- puff 'em up on the surface, then go down very little and puff 'em up again.

I essentially puff my ears first then descend, take another breath, do the same, this is usually as shallow as 3mtrs and still i get pain. So essentially I blow while holding my nose and drop a bit, but the pain is instant, and so forth. I only continue to descend once the pain subsides and usually this is just by waiting long enough and going up a bit, equalizing, down a bit, pain, up a bit etc. SO the thought of a 20-30mtr dive is daunting as this could take me 15mins or longer to descend, and yet still have full ears and blood....

Should I try the jaw method rather than puffing my ears maybe? Just sitting here now I can "click my ears with a jaw movement but cant seem to once in the water. Could the holding nose and blowing be my problem?

If it hurts and you are bleeding, even a 4 yr old knows they probably should chill out on that activity. It is not supposed to hurt. Continued abuse of your ears and sinuses will cause scar tissue and make things worse.

Are you saying you go to 3 meters and then clear? you need to clear at 0.5 meters and 1 meters and if there is discomfort, go UP, not sit there or go down..

I would suggest you see a physician to get your ears checked. My wife's ear canals are structured such that they promote barotrauma and infection, and her doctor prescribed ear drops for any issues after being in the water (and I've used them after mild barotrauma myself). Also, you want to make sure you have not done any non-reversible damage to this point. I now use pseudoephedrine every time I dive, and it's helped me. But ask your doctor before doing so.

Thanks for the constructive help. As for assuming my behavior is of that of a 4yr old..... well, nothing to say there. I have often been told that this happens to many and no, i dont bleed every time, just a wee bit on the odd occassion. I dont wait till 3meters. I am blowing with hand on nostrils above water as I'm descending and then continuously taking a breath and blowing. I go very slowly as I am always going down the anchor line. I just keep being told that it will come right with time, but yes, perhaps i need to see a doc to check everything is ok. I have taken psuedo on some occasions too and it helps a bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom