Prostate surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know how long a diver should wait to dive after surgery to remove the prostate?

Last edited:
Hi AfterDark,

A primary consideration here is the specific reason for and type of surgery involved, neither of which has as yet been mentioned. The nature (e.g., severely enlarged prostate, prostate cancer) and surgical treatment (e.g., laparoscopic, open) of the disease have significant and particular implications for healing times.

Differing surgical approaches involve varying degrees of invasiveness and anticipated healing times. On average, a patient undergoing a partial resection via robotic-assisted laparoscopy is going to be back in action much more rapidly than one undergoing radical prostatectomy via open surgery. And then there may be the consideration of whether chemotherapy, radiation or other treatment(s) will follow.

Depending on the technique applied and general health of the individual, as a very general rule patients undergoing prostatectomy can expect to go home anywhere from 1-4 days post-surgery. Again as a very general rule, the majority of these patients are back to most normal daily activities within 1-3 weeks, but with activities that involve heavy lifting, as can be the case with scuba, the operated diver would be well-advised to allow 4-6 weeks or more before resuming tank hauling and the like.

In the final analysis, diving should not be resumed without specific clearance from the treating surgeon.

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you DocVikingo. I thought about 4-5 weeks myself. As for the doctor knowing when diving should resume; I am dubious about what the treating surgeon knows about diving, which is why I asked here after doing a search on the subject. I usually go by when the MD says it's ok to renew normal activities, which diving is for me on a monthly basis. Not the last couple of months however with the sub zero temps and 3 feet of snow, I just can't get too excited about going diving! That stated I will not be diving post op until I feel up to it, regardless what the MD says, that is if he says 5 weeks and I don't feel right by then, then I'll wait longer. Thanks again.

There is nothing specific about going underwater that relates to this surgery -- limitations are more because of the activities associated with diving, like lifting heavy gear and climbing ladders. And as Doc Vikingo wrote, a lot will depend on the extent of the surgery and the incision used. A patient who has undergone a TURP, or transurethral resection of the prostate, might be able to dive within a week or two; someone undergoing radical prostatectomy through an abdominal incision would be wise to wait considerably longer before lifting gear.

It's looks like the entire prostate will be removed using robotics, so I'm told.

Hi,I am 9 weeks post op with a DaVinci robatic prostate removal. I couldn't see myself diving any sooner than I will be. The doctor had me on very limited activities for 6 week. I couldn't lift anything more than 10 lbs., and I don't think I really could have lifted much more than that . I have spoke with my Doctor and have been cleared to resume my daily activity.I will be going diving in Florida the end of this month so I will let you know the outcome.My biggest concern at this time in incontinance when I go to lift my gear up .Best of luck with your operation.Jim

I underwent a robotic assisted rad.pros. 2 years ago. Complications and the need to heal kept me out of the water for a awhile. But I have been back for awhile. During the healing, I became the Kegel King! Regaining continence and sexual function takes time. The only change to my current diving is I use an adult diaper when I dive in a drysuit. I have always peed in my wetsuit (don't judge me!), so wetsuit diving hasn't changed. Afterdark, it sounds like you haven't had surgery yet. I have no doubt you will do OK. If you have any questions or want to hear more about my experience just PM me.

So I've got my date with the masked men with knives, 4-30-15. Just a couple of weeks away. I expect to back in the water mid June. Thanks everyone for the replies and PMs.

The major problem is incontinence, especially when lifting heavy weights. The time to recovery is highly variable. For most people it takes several weeks if not months. So do wait if you dive in a dry suit or without a wet suit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom