Mitral Valve Prolapse and diving. Anyone here, or advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danman132x

Registered
Reaction score
I have mild mitral valve prolapse. The doctor tells me I'm just fine and can continue living a normal healthy life. Does anyone have experience with this? I need to see him this month before I plan to dive though to get a signed release.

I take a mild dose of beta-blockers, which helps with palpitations and blood pressure. My blood pressure is normal with the medications. The dose is 20mg 3x a day which is one of the lowest the cardiologist tells me. I've taken stress tests in the past, and went all the way to the maximum run they allow with no arrhythmias or negative signs. I can swim the 200 yards at a nice slow pace no problem and I go swimming a lot with my friends, and freedive in local springs here in Florida. They do a yearly echocardiogram on me and it just confirms the mild mvp, hasn't gotten worse. Doctor says I was born with it, a congenital effect.

Rarely do I feel shortness of breath, but that's just a symptom of the mitral valve prolapse. I'm also working on my cardio workout routine. Does anyone have MVP and dive with it here? Hopefully this won't stop me from being able to do it.

Here's what DAN says on it:
Scuba Divers and Mitral Valve Prolapse
Scuba Diving with Beta-Blockers for High Blood Pressure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom