I am searching out post op weight loss surgery divers please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am searching out post op weight loss surgery divers please! I am getting all my pre op clearances and almost ready to go but I am getting cold feet. The two procedures I am considering are Gastric Sleeve and Lap band in that order. I am concerned with how this is going to affect my diving. Is it going to cause me to be more prone to sea sickness? I take Bonine now to fend it off on rough days. They say both lap band and gastric sleeve can cause an in increase in acid reflux. What happens when I invert and dive down etc? Will I have to worry about getting light headed during a dive due to a lack of food? What are your experiences? I wreck dive cold dark northeast waters from a boat quite often and I am about 80 lbs overweight at the moment.
I have checked dan but they are pretty vague on this and I want to talk to someone who dives. Please:(

You'll need to be able to burp after whatever procedure you can have in order to avoid gastric barotrauma. Re acid reflux: there is disagreement among experts as to which diving position is best (in people with GI systems that have not been surgically altered - your results may vary). It's been shown that head-up vertical immersion leads to a pressure differential between the stomach and esophagus that could lead to or exacerbate reflux, but head-down immersion could do the same simply by gravity. Your situation may be different. Re eating: that's a question best answered by your surgeon. Diving would be similar to other moderate exercise as far as nutritional requirements.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom