Bone Fractures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newhampster

Contributor
Reaction score
Just broke my arm (radius) in a simple accident skiing. Clean fracture, got the cast yesterday. Orthopedist says in 6 weeks, the cast comes off (9 Feb) and I can rebuild the muscle tone.

I am scheduled on a liveaboard trip (Caribbean Explorer -- St. Maarten, Saba, Statia, etc.) that begins 4 weeks later (9 March).

Are there any implications of the broken bone that I should worry about?

Thanks,

My experience says no.
The docs may have another opinion.
Rick

I read that with a severe broken bone, DAN recommends 6 months no diving due to unpredictable likely hood of DCS.

Does any one know if a non-displaced and closed fracture have the same problem?
See: The Basics of Bone Fractures

ie: if it is only a crack in the bone... & not fully broken... Is it still a risk w DCS? & if so, how long must someone wait before being able to dive?

...hoping that diving can resume in 2 weeks...

A simple, uncomplicated fracture of this nature has not damaged the surrounding tissue, (blood vessels, muscles, ligaments, nerves, etc.) very much. There is also less edema (swelling) due to the fracture. Edema can linger for months after a significant, complex fracture. These are the factors DAN seems to be paying the most attention to and seems not to be too concerned about with a minor, well healed fracture.

I broke my wrist similarly in 1995. The OP may have some issues with strength and weight bearing at just 4 weeks post cast removal. He should think about managing his gear with entry and exit from the water. Perhaps shedding his BC in the water instead of pulling himself and his gear up a ladder would be a solution. Also, using your injured arm for stabilization on a pitching vessel could be a strain.

I was shocked at how much muscle tone I lost. After they took the cast off I was flexing my hand and they asked if I was ok? I told them I was just trying to re-inflate my hand.

Wow. 15 years seems a long time between posts.

Our new friend With is dealing with a healed fracture and as recommended, he searched before posting. Being the economical sort, he used his search result post rather than starting a new thread. Seems quite reasonable, in this specific case, as opposed to some ancient threads that receive new posts from time to time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom