Bumps appear after brushing against coral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteeleS

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I recently dove in the Bahamas and had an amazing time. This was a beach dive so it was quite shallow. Be ause of how shallow it was we were tossed around a bit. While diving i brushed against a piece of coral with the back of my hand. It stung a bit but i didnt think anything of it. A week later i noticed about 15 bumps have appeared where i hit the coral. I was curious and squeezed them and they were filled with liquid. I know its kind of gross but could be fire coral?

Yes. Good luck. You may have to see a doctor.

Yes it could. Call the Divers Alert Network (DAN) at 1-800-446-2671.

Most fire coral stings I've seen - and gotten - look more like a red rash with some raised bumps. Google it for pictures.

I think you'd feel a lot more than "it stung a bit" when you first did it. It's called fire coral - I was pretty miserable when I hit some. Even maybe a little nauseated. I have dark purple discoloration on my leg from it years later. And I did need 10 days of antibiotic from an MD after I returned from the trip.

It's possible you bumped a stinging hydroid also. The result would be some clear, pus filled sores that may not manifest until days later. There's other stinging things also - many other coral dwelling organisms kill their prey by injecting them with some sort of stinging nematocysts (sp) also. Or your hand.

For the record, I'm not any sort of medical professional so I'd suggest having it looked at.

Is there a way to post a picture?

---------- Post added April 3rd, 2015 at 11:41 AM ----------

I dont think its fire coral, do you think it's urgent to get it checked out?

It's not urgent unless the rash is spreading or you are having problems using the hand. This sounds like an envenomation of some kind, coral or hydroid, and a delayed hypersensitivity reaction. The important thing is to distinguish between that and a bacterial infection of the hand. If there is significant redness and swelling, and the area is painful to the touch, and especially if there is any streaking up the wrist or arm, that would suggest infection. Pain with use of the hand (not just soreness at the rash site, but painful movement) might suggest involvement of deeper hand structures, and that is an urgent problem. A simple blistering rash without any of the other findings is likely due to the sting, and would generally be treated with topical steroids, and is not an emergency.

I don’t think its fire coral, do you think it's urgent to get it checked out?

Hi SteeleS,

Based on the description, I agree with diversteve that a stinging hydroid or kindred envenomation is a good working diagnosis.

Unless a systemic reaction of some sort arises, the rash appears to be spreading, signs of infection appear, or other apparent complication occurs, it is not an urgent situation. The expectation is that it will heal, probably within a few weeks. If not, consultation a dermatologist may be prudent.

In the meantime, judicious use of an oral anti-inflammatory (e.g., Advil) & a topical antihistamine (e.g., Benadryl Cream) may give some relief.

Regards,

Doc Vikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom