Fire Coral what is the best treatment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott2771

Registered
Reaction score
I accidently brushed up against some fire coral while diving a week ago Monday in Cozumel. Yesterday it became a problem and started itching with large whelps, like poison ivy except in rows, on my forearm. A drugest suggested 1% hydrocortisone That does help the itching. Is there anything else I need to do?

I stole this from somewhere:
DISCUSSION

Fire corals are not true corals. They have a bright yellow-green and brown skeletal covering and are widely distributed in tropical and subtropical waters. Divers often mistake fire coral for seaweed, and accidental contact is very common. Their very small nematocysts contain tentacles that protrude from numerous surface pores (see Jellyfish Stings). In addition, they have a sharp, calcified external skeleton that can scrape the skin.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS

· Immediate burning or stinging pain develops over 5-30 minutes. Then a red rash with raised wheals or vesicles appears, and itching develops. Lymph gland swelling may occur over time.
· Rarely, nausea and vomiting has been reported.

TREATMENT

· Rinse with seawater. Avoid fresh water because it will increase pain.
· Apply topical acetic acid (vinegar) or isopropyl alcohol.
· Remove tentacles with tweezers.
· Immobilize the extremity because movement may cause the venom to spread.
· Hydrocortisone cream may be applied 2-3 times daily for itching. Discontinue immediately if any signs of infection appear.
· If the victim develops shortness of breath; swelling in the tongue, face, or throat; or other signs of an allergic reaction, treat for an allergic reaction.
· If there are no signs of allergic reaction, pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.

SEEK MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

· In severe cases, seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
· Consult your doctor about treatment with available medications.

the following treatment is recommended here:

# Hydrocortisone cream may be applied 2-3 times daily for itching. Discontinue immediately if any signs of infection appear.

# If the victim develops shortness of breath; swelling in the tongue, face, or throat; or other signs of an allergic reaction, treat for an allergic reaction.

# If there are no signs of allergic reaction, pain may be relieved with 1-2 acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours and/or 1-2 ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) every 6-8 hours.

i would go to a doctor to make sure you don't have an infection or an allergic reaction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom