Displaced clavicular fracture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just had surgery today to repair a severely displaced clavicular fracture. 6 screws and a plate.

When will I be diving again? Sigh...

I broke mine in mid-January. Had ORIF (plate, 12 screws) a couple days after. Three months later and I'm generally feeling pretty good, but still can't imagine wanting to bear the weight of a scuba rig.

I broke mine in mid-January. Had ORIF (plate, 12 screws) a couple days after. Three months later and I'm generally feeling pretty good, but still can't imagine wanting to bear the weight of a scuba rig.

That's what I was told. Sucks. Already want to go to gym. Sigh sigh sigh...

That's what I was told. Sucks. Already want to go to gym. Sigh sigh sigh...

I took two weeks completely off training post-surgery, then started back with elliptical and stationary bike workouts. I was running and swimming again after eight weeks. Started PT (for range of motion) soon after surgery. Was eight weeks, though, before we were doing any type of weights. Range of motion is now good, strength is coming back. Take some time to recover, then do the PT. Right now, it's still uncomfortable with weight directly over that clavicle and I find sleeping on that side bothers me.

This sounds like the snowboarders thread...

For me, it was crashing at nearly 30MPH in a criterium... :(

For me, it was crashing at nearly 30MPH in a criterium... :(

Ah, so you earned a little road-rash to complement it... Nicely done! As I said to my kid when he splattered his shoulder all over Whistler... "At least it wasn't your head!"

Ah, so you earned a little road-rash to complement it... Nicely done! As I said to my kid when he splattered his shoulder all over Whistler... "At least it wasn't your head!"

Was a real winner move five minutes into the race (my second of the morning)! Road rash is taking longer to heal than the clavicle. Going to have some lovely scars from this. Also managed to crack a rib and a few lumbar vertebrae. Super way to start the year. Hope your kid is all healed up!

Hope your kid is all healed up!

Ugh... Sounds like you are fortunate not be posting from the vegetable aisle!

The lad mended, but he feels the plate. He's very lean and you can see the screw heads sticking out. He's going to have them taken out at some point, but the surgeon wants to leave it another year.

He lives in Byron Bay and surfs everyday now, so it's pretty manageable.

Scuba diving and backpacking are going to be the deciding factors for me if I leave it in or have it taken out.

Good luck, tridacna, with the recovery. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM. Hoping some others who have had the surgery post about their transition back into diving.

Bike riding for me. Shoulder meet gutter. At speed. The nerve block in the arm and hand is seriously unsettling...!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom