Ad-hoc monovision?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8jab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice from anyone using monovision type contact lens setup, or any optometrist or ophthalmologist who may be listening...

I am nearsighted, with only a minor correction for distance. I use contacts, and with presbyopia onset, I also use reading glasses.

Here are my specifics:

SPH CYL AXIS
R -.75 -.75 95
L -.75 -.75 115

I use +1.5 reading glasses, and they improve my vision from 0-3.5 feet. Beyond 3.5 feet, they hinder my vision.

With my contacts, I can't see my dive computer without struggle. Without my contacts, I see OK, enjoy my diving, and can read my computer without trouble. I dove for a whole week in Cozumel in February, and enjoyed it very much. I could continue to dive without any correction and be happy.

However, I'm wondering if it could be even better with corrected vision. I have avoided it in favor of seeing my computer. I do not wish to buy prescription mask, and don't want to glue/stick an add-on bifocal lens in my mask.

I've recently learned about the practice of monovision contacts, with distance correction for the dominant eye, and reading correction for the other eye.

I'm considering trying this, ad-hoc. The plan is to wear only one contact, in my dominate eye, while diving. I hope to improve my intermediate vision (beyond 3 feet) but still keep the ability to quickly read my dive computer.

My questions:

1. Am I crazy?
2. Does it take time to adjust to monovision? Should I practice beforehand?
3. Should I consider a reading specific prescription for my non-dominate eye, or is uncorrected OK?

I am quite a bit more blind than you but I do pretty much what you are thinking. I am R 4.5 L 5.5 and use 2.0 reading glasses. Underwater I wear R 2.5 L 4.5. This gives me excellent vision underwater and allows me to see macro and mid distance quite well. Can't see long distance underwater anyway - the water gets in the way. On the surface I can see well enough to get back to the boat. Personally I would go without the contact in both eyes as your correction is relatively minor and really only comes in to play for long distance vision which you don't use underwater anyway. At some point you might want to try a corrected lens to + .5 in one eye if you really want to see the very very small. The mono vision is pretty easy to get used to.

I tried several combinations - ordering on line contact lenses in different strengths before settling on a strength that works for me.

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice from anyone using monovision type contact lens setup, or any optometrist or ophthalmologist who may be listening...
I'm not an opt*ist, nor do I play one on the internet, but here's my reply anyway...

I am nearsighted, with only a minor correction for distance. I use contacts, and with presbyopia onset, I also use reading glasses.
I'm nearsighted, with a slightly larger correction for distance than you (if I understand the prescription notation correctly).

I wear glasses for distance vision.

I don't wear contacts on a daily basis, as I can focus very well out to about 4~5' without correction, and the added correction from contacts makes near-focus difficult.

With my contacts, I can't see my dive computer without struggle. Without my contacts, I see OK, enjoy my diving, and can read my computer without trouble. I dove for a
whole week in Cozumel in February, and enjoyed it very much. I could continue to dive without any correction and be happy.
Sounds similar.

I've recently learned about the practice of monovision contacts, with distance correction for the dominant eye, and reading correction for the other eye.
Monovision was recommended to me when I was considering LASIK (decided against it). Often, when I'm doing a day of outdoor activities, I'll wear one contact lens, in my dominant eye. For me, this is fine for distance vision, including driving, and with my uncorrected eye I'm able to read close-up items easily (menus, wristwatch, etc). Personally, I'd be hesitant to do activities that require greater acuity (target shooting, threading a sewing needle) with monovision.

I'm considering trying this, ad-hoc. The plan is to wear only one contact, in my dominate eye, while diving. I hope to improve my intermediate vision (beyond 3 feet) b
ut still keep the ability to quickly read my dive computer.
That's exactly what I do. Without the contact lenses at all, I can read my dive computer, and see clearly to about 8~10' underwater. However, it's frustrating when on the surface to have distances be blurry or to be dealing with taking glasses on & off while on a boat.

I've got daily disposable contacts, and have glasses with me somewhere anyway, so if I loose the contact lens (mask floods) or it dries out and get uncomfortable, I just throw it away.

My questions:

1. Am I crazy?
Um, you're here, on scubaboard, and you've got to ask that question? :)

2. Does it take time to adjust to monovision? Should I practice beforehand?
I-am-not-a-Dr but here's my experience... My opthamologist recommended 'practicing' with monovision -- some things with depth perception (finding the first tread on a staircase) may be a little 'off'. For me, that wasn't a problem at all. Underwater, given the magnifying effect and perception differences, the additional change from monovision was unnoticible. I certainly wouldn't make my first test of monovision be while diving, but it probably won't be difficult to adjust.

Thanks for the great responses!!

I'll be 'testing' my monovision plans around the house and at work. If all goes well, I'll try it while diving.

Darnold, we can't order contacts without a doctor's prescription in the USA. I'm guessing the rules are different in Canada.

Do you have access to a pool for "shakedown" dives? If so, I'd highly suggest trying it underwater. In a swimming pool, there's little risk. Worst case, you close one eye and surface and it costs you whatever it took to get there. Best case, you can play with which eye you want your contact in. Water does weird things in that it changes stuff when comparing air to water, especially optics. Heck, dive lights have different beam shapes and properties underwater.

I have true ad hoc monovision. I'm 2.5 diopters nearsighted in my left eye, slightly better than 20/20 in my right eye, but definitely farsighted in that eye. My right eye is, surprisingly, not that presbyopic, but I need about 15 inches to read print with that eye.

All of this is uncorrected, no laser surgery, no contacts, no glasses. I'm told my brain makes the adjustment from right to left eye on its own, as appropriate for what I'm looking at, which is the essence of monovision. I can see a full panorama with sharp 20/20 at any distance. When I read or look at gauges the brain switches to the nearsighted eye. I can see clearly up to about 4 inches before things blur. I'm completely unaware of this phenomenon occurring. There are times when I read for a few hours and I have to close my right eye because I start to see a double image, but that's the only thing I'm ever aware of.

I'm not sure how corrected monovision works, but my natural monovision is wonderful. This situation developed in my fifties, when my left eye gradually became more nearsighted and my right eye improved to 20/20. I'm in my seventies now, and need absolutely no correction for distance or for close up reading.

Last edited:
Just leave the contact out of your non dominant eye. I have about -8.5 in each eye. I have my dominant right eye corrected for the best far vision I can get and my left eye corrected to read with. I'm sure you have better vision without correction than I have with. So just do the monovision thing and see if you can live with it. There is an adjustment period and some people just hate it but for me it is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom