Frequent right ear pain and nosebleeds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azrael84

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I'm relatively new to scuba with 16 dives so far. I seem to experience a recurring problem:

1) I have more trouble than most equalizing my right ear. It gets there in the end, but it takes a while and causes some pain as I descend (even if slowly)
2) I often get traces of blood/nosebleed from the right nostril at the end of a dive
3) The right ear can remain blocked for several days after a dive, even with various attempts to equalize it by holding my nose and swallowing etc

Does anyone have any advice? Is this a serious problem, should I see a doctor etc?

See a doctor. Blood is bad. I assume you are congestion-free when diving.

Bleeding after diving seems very wrong, as does the blockage after diving and pain while equalizing. I'd second that you should see a doctor, if possible one who understands diving. You might call the DAN medical line (1-919-684-2948) during east coast business hours to talk to someone about this and maybe get a referral to a local doctor.

It sounds as though you have some kind of anatomic problem that is interfering with equalization of the right ear, and possibly the right maxillary or frontal sinus, as well. This is the kind of thing which, if it happens once, can often be safely ignored. But since this has become a pattern, I think you should seek a good ENT consultation to determine why it is happening. It is possible to do serious damage to important structures if equalization is sufficiently delayed.

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try and get an appointment with an ENT. It's a bit tricky at the moment as I'm travelling, but maybe there are some options out there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom