Unusual Illness, Possibly From Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D&D

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Eight years ago, I scratched my finger on coral in Aruba, while snorkeling. Upon arriving home, I thought my finger was infected and went to the Dr. After close to 20 vials of blood and different tests, and over the course of several months, I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune hepatitis. This went into remission after a couple of years and different meds but not until a whole slew of other autoimmune diseases cropped out; rheumatoid and psoriatic arthritis, sjogrens, fibromyalgia, and raynauds. Jump ahead another five years and I am diving in Bonaire. Everyone seems to have colds and once I get over mine, I scratch my finger in Bonaire while coming out from a dive in rough water. I didn't pay it any attention and it seemed to heal up fine. A couple of weeks later I start to feel as though I have bronchitis. I go to a Dr and he gives me an antibiotic, an inhaler and cough medicine. I start to feel better but when I take a deep breath I have a tickle in my throat that makes me want to cough. I go back to the Dr and he listens to my lungs and says there is still some noise in there. I start prednisone in February and by April, I start to feel short of breath upon exertion. By May - June, I have a dry cough, fatigue, and shortness of breath whenever I do anything...talk too much, move too much or too fast, etc. I am back in the states and am in the same shape. 40 mil of prednisone has done nothing to touch this. I had X-rays, CT scans, Angio CT scans, MRI's and a bronchial scope that took tissue samples which ruled out things but did not diagnose anything.
Has anyone had heard of anything like this? I am currently facing an open lung biopsy.

Not a pretty situation, D&D, but the likelihood that a coral or other cnidarian scrape is responsible for the medical history provided appears to be essentially zero.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom