New Diver - Ear Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukemil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know that there are lots of "ear problem" threads, but I haven't seen one quite like mine. I am hoping someone out there can offer some wisdom. I just completed my open water dives for basic OW certification at Dutch Springs in Pennsylvania. I had a little discomfort coming up on the first set of dives a week earlier, so I took descent and ascent really slow and equalized a ton. The equalization seemed to go well -- I felt the soft pop in each ear as the tubes opened and I didn't feel any discomfort. On the way up, I felt and heard the pressure release, again without much discomfort. On the drive back to the city, I gradually developed a pretty painful earache in my right ear and a slight one in my left. The pain subsided in about two hours. I still have a stuffy feeling in my right ear and I seem to have suffered a little hearing loss based on a free iPhone hearing test. Thanks for any help.

This really does sound like barotrauma and some fluid in the middle ear. Although you may have felt you equalized enough, it's quite common for new divers to leave equalization until they feel discomfort, which is really a little late.

I still have a stuffy feeling in my right ear and I seem to have suffered a little hearing loss based on a free iPhone hearing test.
TSandM:
This really does sound like barotrauma and some fluid in the middle ear.
Lynne hit the nail on the head. The fact that your first sensation of discomfort was on the ascent after the first dive may be relevant. In training, divers are aggressively encouraged to equalize on descent, and emphasis on the importance of equalization on the subsequent ascent may be minimal by comparison. Unfortunately, it may be a bit more difficult to expedite that process as you do on descent, e.g. with a valsalva. Your condition should resolve itself over several days without intervention (although Sudafed is still your friend). If it doesn't, a visit to an ENT (with diving knowledge) may be useful, not only to address the immediate issue but to have an evaluation of your ear function during equalization.

I went to a DAN approved ENT doctor. He found nothing wrong - no fluid in my middle ear, good hearing, able to pressurize with valsalva. I guess I'm gratified that he didn't say don't dive, but that pain was bad. I'd really like to avoid it. I will try taking it even slower and practice some of the other equalization methods to aid my ascent. Wish me luck.

If I forget to dry my ears after diving (or swimming for that matter) and there is wind blowing or strong ac in the car I will sometimes get an ear ache. Maybe you just had a touch of swimmers ear?

Type 1 decompression sickness can cause strange pains in various parts of the body. If it happens in the ears, it can cause temporary hearing loss. Type 1 decompression sickness can subside in a few minutes to a few hours. Type 1 is not serious, but if you experience other symptoms of decompression sickness, you should talk to a doctor immediately.

Are you sure you ascended very slowly? Some dive computers will tell you in their logbook how quickly your ascent was.

...although Sudafed is still your friend.
What's sold as Sudafed these days is only a little more effective than a placebo. Pseudoephedrine (from which Sudafed once took its name) is still available behind the counter - doctor's prescription required in a few states.

If I forget to dry my ears after diving (or swimming for that matter) and there is wind blowing or strong ac in the car I will sometimes get an ear ache. Maybe you just had a touch of swimmers ear?
Now that's a new one to me. I dislike a waterlogged ear feeling, but never knew it to cause pain. Of course, we're all different. I think a Swimmer's Ear infection takes a few days to start, but that can leave me on the verge of tears. I never forget to rinse my ears with alcohol-vinegar drops now. Not worth the risk.

On the way up, I felt and heard the pressure release, again without much discomfort.
And that's a new one to me too. I've felt the release on every descent, but never on ascent. Some people have challenging E-tubes.

Type 1 decompression sickness can cause strange pains in various parts of the body. If it happens in the ears, it can cause temporary hearing loss. Type 1 decompression sickness can subside in a few minutes to a few hours. Type 1 is not serious, but if you experience other symptoms of decompression sickness, you should talk to a doctor immediately.

Are you sure you ascended very slowly? Some dive computers will tell you in their logbook how quickly your ascent was.

Tinnitus, vertigo, nausea and hearing loss are all symptoms of both inner ear DCS (classified as Type II) and barotrauma, but ear pain would not be associated with decompression illness. Type I DCS pain occurs in the joints of the extremities.

Luke, if this happens again, I would return to an ENT physician and have him or her evaluate you for Eustachian tube dysfunction. It's unusual to have middle ear barotrauma on ascent; it could be due to an anatomic anomaly. Did you take any decongestants or use nose spray before your first series of dives where you experienced discomfort on ascent?

Best regards,
DDM

I did a shallow dive today with friends. We spent most of the time around 20 feet. I took the real Sudafed about 45 minutes before the dive. I went up and down slow and equalized twice as often as I thought I needed to. I experienced no earache afterwards. Next week, I'll try a little deeper.

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses.

Hi guys, I'm a new diver too and have just completed my ow padi, all my dives have been great, no problem with equalisation either but after about 5 hours after my last dive I have suddenly started to get and ear ache, more in my left and slightly in the right, could anyone help?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom