Mucous saliva forming when using high O2 for Deco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I notice that I started to form more mucous saliva or clear snot when breathing high O2 on the stops, why does this happen ?, I produce as well when diving air, but the quantity sky rockets with me on high O2 ( only had done stops with 50%O2 ) to a point that I had to take out the regulator and spit out underwater to clear my throat.

My Instructor told me that it is normal, but, I feel actually that it is kind of dangerous as you let it buildup, is my body in particular having a worse reaction to high O2% ?, any way or tricks to reduce this ?, Thanks

I haven't heard of high-O2 breathing gas itself causing increased mucus production and haven't seen it in divers hyperbaric oxygen patients. My guess is some sort of external irritant.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks Dr. Duke, do you think it can be related to the Humidity, in the Tech Dive section from here, it was as well pointed out that the regulator played a role in it, my instructor told me that it happen to him as well, but I guess in a lesser degree as me.

Perhaps this is the result of the dryness of the gas you have been breathing, as well as a prolonged profile which you are doing from, aggravated by a degree of dehydration at this point? Maybe you should bring along a small travel size bottle of water or a mouth rinse such as Biotene.

Just thinking.............

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when one is dehydrated, your mount and throat becomes dry, not wet, your throat begins to hurt as it is dry, not my case.

Thanks Dr. Duke, do you think it can be related to the Humidity, in the Tech Dive section from here, it was as well pointed out that the regulator played a role in it, my instructor told me that it happen to him as well, but I guess in a lesser degree as me.

It sounds more like an environmental irritant though absent a thorough interview I don't know what it would be. I don't know how many diaphragms or regulator parts are made of latex nowadays, but if you have any latex parts, it could be a sensitivity to that. Also, did you O2 clean your regulator? If so, with what, and is it possible there is residue?

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom