Asthma and Diving: some quotes from the medical experts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcohn

Reaction score
With the recent discussion on Asthma and diving, I decide to finally begin a project I’ve thought about for some time, providing a selection of quotes from sources on the subject. Since these quotes must be typed in, I may add some over time. I’m focusing on the issue of gas trapping because there is so much misinformation floating around. The conference spent more time on testing and treatment issues.

The Source I’m using is “Are Asthmatics Fit to Dive?”, the proceedings from an Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Conference held on June 21, 1995, David H. Elliot Chairman and Editor. This is a source anyone seriously interested in asthma and diving should read, reprints are available here: http://www.uhms.org/Publications/publicat.htm.

Dr. Elliot: “… So it is important for us to have someone to review the subject who has no preconceived ideas about diving, and yet is familiar with water sports. Mark is eminent in the World Surf Lifesavers Association, editor of the Oxford Textbook of Sports Medicine in which he wrote the chapter on asthma; clinical director of medicine in a large postgraduate hospital and medical director of the British Olympic Medical Center.”

“It has been agreed that gas can readily escape from the bronchial tree despite the increased intra-luminal secretions or airways narrowing encountered in the asthmatic diver, and so gas trapping should not prove a problem.”, [page 7]

“Conclusions
• Asthmatics who dive are at risk from exercise limitation, not peripheral gas trapping.” [Page 12]

From: The Basis for the Pass/Fail Criteria use in Australia and New Zealand, D. F. Gorman (President of the South Pacific Undersea Medical Society)

“…will asthma or the treatment of asthma predispose the diver to a diving related illness? There is at least a theoretical increased risk of pulmonary barotrauma in asthmatics and some bronchodilators will impair the ability of the lungs to filter venous bubbles.” [page 31]

“It is possible that we’ve worried for too long about pulmonary barotrauma in asthmatics and overlooked the far more likely scenario of an asthmatic drowning on the surface. Certainly, local analyses of diving deaths show that asthmatics who die while diving usually do so by drowning on the water surface.” [page 32]

From: The Case for allowing Asthmatics to Dive, Tom S. Neuman

“….in a magazine with a circulation of 38,000, there were 104 positive respondents, 22 wheezed daily, 9 dived within 1 hour of wheezing. Those who wheezed within one hour of diving logged 1,241 accident-free dives, and in the remaining asthmatics 12,864 safe dives were logged.” [page 40]

“Dr Farrell showed in his study that asthmatics have no statistically significant increase in dysbaric illness over the normal population. In his ongoing study of 200 asthmatic divers he also mentioned 30,000 accident-free dives with greater than 20 unscheduled free ascents without incident…” [page 40]

“In looking over 13 years of collecting mortality statistics and the university of Rhode Island only one death in 1300 could be attributed to asthma.” [page 40]

“….we’ve become somewhat more liberal about this because the key seems to be how they function. They either can do the exercise of they cannot do the exercise. The risk for barotrauma doesn’t seem to be there.” [page 42]

From: The Case that Asthmatics Should Not Dive, Richard E. Moon

“Dr Farrell should be commended for doing for doing a prospective study…, but any such practicable study has the inherent problem that the asthmatics who dive are likely to be self-selected, lower risk individuals.” [page 46]

“What is the interpretation of these data? It is correct to say that there is no evidence for an increased risk of DCI in asthmatics who dive. However, it is not correct to conclude that there is no risk. To do so it would first be necessary to establish the confidence with which one can exclude such a relationship.” [page 48]

“There are theoretical reasons why gas trapping could occur in asthmatics and cause pulmonary barotrauma and gas embolism during ascent from a dive.” [page 48]

That’s enough for now, remember that this conference was held in 1995, the diving community seems to be rather slow in disseminating the updated view of asthma and diving.

Ralph

I appreciate you posting this information. I dive with asthma and have for many years. I do not suffer from exercise induced "attacks". I have never had any problems, but I always remain concerned that something may happen. I try to be rather conservative in my diving and attempt to make very slow assents, just in case. Thanks again.

...for all the great info.

Being new to diving and new to SB, I posted a question regarding my asthma. I'm still feeling my way around the Board so next time I have a question, I'll "cruise around" first and see if its already been addressed.

Paddles

My gf is asmatic and she dives and she hasnt experience any problems at all (thank god) . I got few friends that are asmatic and dive and as well they dont have any issues at all.

I'm not clear about the intent of your post as regards diving with asthma.

What is the message for those interested in the medicine & science on the topic and who seek guidance on the safety of diving with asthma?

Thanks,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo (0r anyone else)
Do you have a suggestion as to how I might find a "hyperbaric doc" or one that could test me to see if I am safe to dive? I occasionally get wheezy if I try to run in cold weather. Other than that, I have no problems (a cat owner's dirty home, but I'm not likely to run into that underwater). I am otherwise athletic and fit and never have random attacks with or without excercise. My doctor here was clearly panicked at the idea of clearing me to dive. He admitted no knowledge on the subject, and unfortunately knew of someone who had died years ago. I REALLY want to dive. Can anyone suggest a recent medical article on the subject?

femmedelamer:
DocVikingo (0r anyone else)
Do you have a suggestion as to how I might find a "hyperbaric doc" or one that could test me to see if I am safe to dive? I occasionally get wheezy if I try to run in cold weather. Other than that, I have no problems (a cat owner's dirty home, but I'm not likely to run into that underwater). I am otherwise athletic and fit and never have random attacks with or without excercise. My doctor here was clearly panicked at the idea of clearing me to dive. He admitted no knowledge on the subject, and unfortunately knew of someone who had died years ago. I REALLY want to dive. Can anyone suggest a recent medical article on the subject?

usually they will conduct a baseline test of your functioning via a spirometer. They will then ask you to exercise for a period of about ten to fifteen minutes at a good MET, after which they will ask you to take another spirometry test. They will then compare the results.

If you fail by not appearing within a clearly defined "Normal Spirometry" they may ask you to come back and complete the test again after putting you on some maintenance medicine. Alternatively - they may ask you to immediately take some fast acting medicine to see if you return to normal. The problem here is that you can't use an inhaler at depth... so you shouldn't GET to the point that you would need an inhaler.

If after being on the maintenance medicine you achieve a normal spirometry, they will generally find you safe to dive.

Also - keep in mind that I believe it's every divers duty to inform their buddy that thy have asthma since it's not fair to you to not devulge that info. They should have the right to not accept the responsibility.

zboss:
usually they will conduct a baseline test of your functioning via a spirometer. They will then ask you to exercise for a period of about ten to fifteen minutes at a good MET, after which they will ask you to take another spirometry test. They will then compare the results.

If you fail by not appearing within a clearly defined "Normal Spirometry" they may ask you to come back and complete the test again after putting you on some maintenance medicine. Alternatively - they may ask you to immediately take some fast acting medicine to see if you return to normal. The problem here is that you can't use an inhaler at depth... so you shouldn't GET to the point that you would need an inhaler.

If after being on the maintenance medicine you achieve a normal spirometry, they will generally find you safe to dive.

Also - keep in mind that I believe it's every divers duty to inform their buddy that thy have asthma since it's not fair to you to not devulge that info. They should have the right to not accept the responsibility.

Gidday zboss

With respect to your last statement about divulging info. I basically bought that up in my comments in "to tell or not to tell" Various other people considered that divulging the same info to the staff on a dive boat was crazy, we didn't need to know etc. I agree, your buddy or potential buddy has the right to know.

Take care-wettek
"Every dive's a good dive"

Back
Top Bottom