Hypertension and Decompression chambers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LancB17

New
Reaction score
I am a sport diver diagnosed with Hypertension currently on Lisinopril 10mg daily. I am thinking about changing my career to becoming a Life Support Technician working with Commercial divers... would my condition prevent me from working as an LST because of the need to decompress in a chamber? Regarding medicals I am a pilot but have a commercial medical so I am fit and my blood pressure is controlled. Thanks

If your BP is well controlled and all is as you state - then you should have no problem working in a hyperbaric chamber. The Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor and has few side effects, mainly a troublesome cough.

It probably would be wise to monitor your BP a little more closely at first - just to be on the safe side. Hypertensives are somewhat more prone to have coronary artery disease so you might want to have an exercise stress test before venturing into long decompression schedules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom