Diver Medical Technician

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I came across a website the other day--

(www.divermedicaltechnician.com)

advertising a course called Diver Medical Technician. From everything I can find on the internet it sounds very interesting. I was just wondering if anybody out there has any first-hand experience with this or any similar course and/or any opinions on its relevance/usefulness for the recreational diver.

Anyway, my opinion is that the DMT is a support position used by diving companies to monitor there commercial divers decompression treatment. If a commercial diver has symptoms during his or her surface decompression then having a EMT specially train in hyperbaric medicine and the treatment of diving related injuries would be a good practice. So the DMT course is basically a EMT course with alot more information and training in diving medicine. Unfortunately i didnt take the class, wish i had tho.

As far as how it would relate to recreational scuba im not quite sure. I feel the true DMT would work for a commercial diving operation. Its like a resume builder. When i was in commercial diving school it was clear that there was alot of compatition for jobs. Getting this DMT cert was just a way of setting yourself apart from the diver. IT was plain and simple, a company was going to hire a diver who had multiple skills over just a certified diver.

Hope all my blabing was some use

Thanks trimixdiver,

That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'm an emt already so the course looked interesting to me and, like you said, might fit nicely on a resume some day. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom