Nasal Spray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenone

Reaction score
I am just starting my diving lessons and would like to know if a nasal spray would be safe to use before diving and if so how close to diving time.

greenone.

greenone:
I am just starting my diving lessons and would like to know if a nasal spray would be safe to use before diving and if so how close to diving time.

greenone.

You have given way too little information. There are many nasal sprays. Their contents go all the way from normal saline to some pretty potent chemicals. Exactly what spray you are using in combination with your specific medical condition will answer your question.

My suggestion is to visit the www.scubadoc.org site. Also to do a search on this site.

Then take the information you find to Your Doc. Discuss the issue with him/her. If the Doc isn't familiar with hyperbarics ask for a consult with a Doc who is. Then, and only then, will you have a good answer from which to make a decision.

One recommendation I can make without any reservations: If you need the spray you referred to to dive; don't until you receive competent medical advise.

Just input from an internet source. Like most such sources it may be worth exactly what it cost you.

I guess it would depend on what kind; if its a decongestant it can wear off during the dive, resulting in some nasty reverse blocks.
Flonase can "usually" be used with no problems, but that's not a decongestant as such.
As with all medical questions, the final word should come from your doc, and he/she should be familiar with hyperbaric medicine & other dive related stuff.

Pop some afrin, works great. Just don't depend on it of your stuffed up to start with, but it will help.

Wildcard:
Pop some afrin, works great. Just don't depend on it of your stuffed up to start with, but it will help.

Fair warning.... Afrin is HIGHLY addictive..

It starts out as 12-hour spray, but if you use it too long it can be a 3-4 hour spray.

Stay away - Advise from someone who knows too well...

Afrin is highly, highly addictive due to the fact that it invariably makes you end up more stuffy than you began. It'll make you wonderfully clear for a couple of hours, but it wreaks havoc on your mucous membranes and makes you very stuffy 6 hours later.. so you take more... then after a week you get really stuffy 5 hours later... etc etc. I'd definitely stay away. I've been there and I refuse to use the stuff anymore.

If you're congested enough that you need it to dive (I can't imagine why you would, since you don't breathe through your nose underwater), then you have other problems. Afrin won't clear up any other passages and could very well lead to reverse blocks.

It will clear your ears faster than anything else and save your dive. It's not for regular use though.

Back
Top Bottom