Hernia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johlar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wife just diagnosed with a large hernia. It is located where she had stomach surgery a year and a half ago. She sees a surgeon in 2 weeks.

She has been diving for the last 2 months and feels she can continue. She mentioned diving to her GP who did not tell not to dive.

I feel she should not dive and she says she's been fine and has not had any issues.

We normally dive in 30 to 40 feet of water.

Comments?

johlar:
Wife just diagnosed with a large hernia. It is located where she had stomach surgery a year and a half ago. She sees a surgeon in 2 weeks.

She has been diving for the last 2 months and feels she can continue. She mentioned diving to her GP who did not tell not to dive.

I feel she should not dive and she says she's been fine and has not had any issues.

We normally dive in 30 to 40 feet of water.

Comments?

I presume you are asking about diving prior to the repair...True?

I suppose this would depend on how she discovered the hernia, how much pain she is in, where the hernia is, whether exercise is likely to aggravate the condition, etc.

Suggest that this question be transferred to the medical board.

It is not so much a question of diving but all of the other activity associated with diving, i.e, climbing up a ladder, getting up from a bench seat, etc. Should there be a need for strenuous activity like in a rescue, there could be a problem. Since she is so close to surgery, why not wait until after it is done? Once the repair is done and she is healed, there should be no problem.

I am not a diving physician. Seek proper medical guidance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom