Diving with stitches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Malta

Reaction score
Hi Divers

I just made 8 stitches in my knee. Is there a way I can dive without a drysuit? I need to dive this weekend as our club is going to do a 50 Hr. marathon playing checkers underwater for charity this weekend.

Please tell me if there is a solution to dive.

THANKS
IAN

Ian Malta:
Hi Divers

I just made 8 stitches in my knee. Is there a way I can dive without a drysuit? I need to dive this weekend as our club is going to do a 50 Hr. marathon playing checkers underwater for charity this weekend.

Please tell me if there is a solution to dive.

THANKS
IAN

You'll want to check with your Dr., of course. But if it were me, I'd coat it with superglue.

cy·a·no·ac·ry·late
Pronunciation: "sI-&-nO-'ak-r&-"lAt, sI-"an-O-
Function: noun
: any of several liquid acrylate monomers that readily polymerize as anions and are used as adhesives in industry and in medicine on living tissue to close wounds in surgery.

As I understand it, it was originally developed as a 'field suture' in the Vietnam police action.

That's why it "Bonds skin instantly."

Not recommending that anyone else do this, it's just what I'd do... ;^)

What about Curaid's "liquid bandaids"?

As 3dent said, definately check with your doctor. I had surgery in Feb. and wasn't allowed to even soak in a bath or pool for 7 weeks. All skin openings had to be completely closed. The risk of infection is too high!

Good luck!

Hi all. Just a word of advice about super glue applied to wounds.

Traditional cyanoacrylate glue is a little too stiff and more toxic to the local tissues to actually be recommended as a means of tissue closure.

Most surgical superglues are octyl, iso-butyl or butyl cyanoacrylates. These are more flexible and less toxic.

I occasionally use surgical super glue at my office to help close surgical wounds. It works quite well but certain precautions should be taken:

Super glue should be used on surface skin only. Don't get it inside a wound. It will irritate deeper tissues and can also have a foreign body reaction.

Do not apply to infected wounds.

Do not apply to puncture wounds.

Do not use to close animal bite wounds.

Only use on wounds that can be closed "skin to skin". Do not use it to cover a scrape or area denuded of skin.

Use on wounds that are less than 2 hours old.

That being said, traditional superglue has been used on wounds and has worked. It is sometimes recommended for sealing small scratches on the hands and fingers to keep dirt and germs out. If there is no other way, superglue may work in a pinch to close cuts and lacerations.

3M has a line of waterproof bandages called Nexcare. On smooth, hairless skin, the seal is nearly perfect. Joints or points of flexure are problematic. These areas stretch the bandage and openings may occur. If it is imperative to keep the wound and sutures dry, then the best course of action is to stay out of the water.

I would be careful about applying super glue over existing sutures. The glue may wick under the skin or may cover a site that is draining. Be aware that even if a superglued wound may appear sealed, there may be microscopic areas of leakage.

Hope this helps.

Laurence Stein, DDS

I thought that scar tissue by decreasing diffusion has been incriminated in leading to DCS?
I have done a couple of minor surgical interventions and each time my doc made me wait at least 6 weeks before diving.

I had lip surgery to remove a skin cancer thingy, and had sutures in my lip for a week. While I had the sutures, I was advised not to dive because of the possibility of infection, the wound not healing properly, etc., and I rigidly followed that advice.

I was cleared to dive the following weekend.

Diving is not so urgent that you want to risk your health, IMHO.

Of course, you should follow the advice of your health practitioner...

Hi scubasean,

Another good reason to avoid diving is that exposing a fresh surgical site or wound to sunlight can cause a discolored area in the scar. My understanding is that it takes several months of healing before exposing to the sun. Don't count on sunblock to protect it. If it can be completely covered, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Larry Stein

By about 24 hours, after suturing the wound should be waterproof, and able to be wet or washed with soap and water. That's what we usually tell people at work. Wet, usually refers to a bath or shower, not 50 hours underwater! How lond will the sutures be in by the time of the dive? If it's just one or two days, I would say wait, any longer than that SHOULD be ok. This also probobly also depends on the size of the wound, and how tight it is. It's in your knee, is it tight, does it pull when you bend your knee? If it's pulling, there's a good chance of you tearing your sutures with finning. Just a couple of things to think about.

Cheers
babar

Hi,

I wasn't gonna do the whole 50hours we were gonna take it in turns. My wound is exactly on top of my knee and no it don't pull or hurt when I move my knee, it's still abit sore though.
I am still in doubt if I dive tommorrow (Saturday) or not. But I came to the conclusion that if it wont be too hot I dive in a drysuit.

IAN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom