Reg replacement in diver rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suika

Registered
Reaction score
While reading the story on Audrey Mestres death a particular statement caught my attention. He said that they could not get a regulator into her mouth as she had stopped breathing. In diver rescue courses you are always told to keep the reg in the mouth or put it back in if it has come out. Is there a medical basis for why it may not be possible to do so. If you cannot get a reg in then options are severely limited?

In my rescue course they taught that if you found the person without a reg, not to waste time trying to put it back in, but to make your ascent right away.
I'm not a doctor, but i would guess that it is possible for the jaw to be clinched shut.

Same here, get the person to the surface as quickly as possible and start rescue breathing......

When a freediver passes out while breath holding, often times they are reflexed/trained into NOT resuming breathing spontaneously until/unless their faces are exposed to open air. This is why in freediver rescue scenarios, the FIRST thing you do on the surface, is to remove their mask and blow across their eyes - this stimulates the reflex that "it's okay to breathe now."

Without the air on her face, she would not resume breathing spontaneously. Ever. Freedivers have died on the surface with their masks on (and nobody to 'rescue' them by removing the masks)

DO not put the reg back in if it has become dislodged.

Once the regulator is in place the temptation is there to purge it which then causes more issues (has been noted as a contributing factor in at least a couple of recent deaths in the Asia-Pacific region. If the victim is not breathing then there is no need to have the regulator in their mouth.

2004 post.......I hope they got the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom