Freediving before scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verus2004

Reaction score
Is it safe to do freediving before scuba diving. Some times I go out and before I put on the scuba gear I go down to see if it is a good place or not. Other time I go spearfishing and then go diving.

Also I will like to read more about the problems that I may encounter doing freediving. DCS, Backouts, Ect. I know about scuba but not about freediving.

In fact, the only time you can safely freedive is before scuba. If you go scuba diving first, your blood still contains some nitrogen that would recompress if you went freediving after - and the tiny compressed nitrogen bubbles would then re-expand on the ascent. This is NOT good news.

If you freedive first, your blood doesn't contain any extra nitrogen, since you haven't been breathing compressed air. Then you're free to scbua dive afterwards.

It's o.k. for recreational freediving before scuba. Aggressive freediving or spearfishing can get you bent.. but that means repetitive dives with very short surface intervals and considerably deep dives (don't ask me what "considerably deep" is, I've never been bent freediving). If you want to read more about freediving & the implications of doing it a good site with valuable information is http://www.deeperblue.net.

Here's what I'm curious about... I always do searches on this site for "freediving" and come up with the odd post now and then that includes that word. I'd like to know.. who's really serious about freediving on this site. Is anyone hitting good depths or is everyone here that says they went freediving or they go freediving or they're going freediving spending their time at like 20' or so... or are they really out there sometimes to push the numbers??? Myself, I'm a way more serious freediver than a scuba diver I guess...and enjoy pushing the numbers.
verus2004:
Is it safe to do freediving before scuba diving. Some times I go out and before I put on the scuba gear I go down to see if it is a good place or not. Other time I go spearfishing and then go diving.

Also I will like to read more about the problems that I may encounter doing freediving. DCS, Backouts, Ect. I know about scuba but not about freediving.

holdingmybreath, I've been freediving since before I was certified. I am the Eastern Regional Women's Champion here in Ontario and I believe I'm on the CAFA site as well with my result (though you have to look waaaaaaay down the list, heh)

I get together with a few other freedivers from Toronto here and during the summer we do regular constant ballast sessions at a site that goes down to 95' or so. In winter we book a pool for statics and sometimes dynamics as well.

My PBs aren't that great, but then I started only last year..... CB is 60', dynamic with fins is 136', static 2:08 (that was set a loooooooooong time ago and I likely can do better but haven't done static training since the ERC)

I also play underwater hockey twice a week.

I'm on the DeeperBlue forums as well, as FreeFloat.

FreeFloat:
holdingmybreath, I've been freediving since before I was certified. I am the Eastern Regional Women's Champion here in Ontario and I believe I'm on the CAFA site as well with my result (though you have to look waaaaaaay down the list, heh)

I get together with a few other freedivers from Toronto here and during the summer we do regular constant ballast sessions at a site that goes down to 95' or so. In winter we book a pool for statics and sometimes dynamics as well.

My PBs aren't that great, but then I started only last year..... CB is 60', dynamic with fins is 136', static 2:08 (that was set a loooooooooong time ago and I likely can do better but haven't done static training since the ERC)

I also play underwater hockey twice a week.

I'm on the DeeperBlue forums as well, as FreeFloat.

I didn't know that about you. Wow!

Hey, she has also been rumored to dive 71oF water without a wetsuit.
:lol:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom