Using Meclizine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iamdoodling

Reaction score
On our last boat dive (which I didn't end up doing) I took the "less drowsy" dramamine as the package suggested. I still was a little quesy which I don't know for sure was due to being seasick or a host of other things (being overheated, dehydrated, hungry, etc.)

We are going again this weekend (weather permitting) and I decided to use Meclizine instead. I know that it is supposed to be less drowsy than dramamine and I got 100 tabs for $11.90 which I thought was pretty good.

The directions are to take 1-2 tablets one hour before travelling. I just wondered what the experience of others was. I don't want to take it too late where it won't end up actually being effective.

Any other info on taking meclizine would be appreciated.

The original Dramamine has dimenhydrinate. The "Less drowsy" version of Dramamine has meclizine hydrochloride it in, so actually, you've already used meclizine without knowing it.

-Simon

Now I am even more baffled. So I guess I should assume that most of my nausea was the other factors and not being sea sick.

I have been on cruises before and not been sick but on our last one (through the Panama Canal) took the dramamine (regular) several times when we were doing small boat stuff (whale watcher and our Discover Scuba) and I had no problems.

I wonder if the regular Dramamine and the meclizine actually work differently for people?

My guess is that the various anti-nausea drugs work differently for different people. I don't even think they know why these drugs prevent motion sickness. Perhaps one of the docs can comment.

Are you planning on a Monterey boat trip? (I notice your profile says you're in my neighborhood). I don't take those trips for exactly the reason of sea-sickness. Bay wave motion can get pretty nausea inducing at times.

-Simon

Yep, Monterey it is. We live in Castro Valley so as you know it isn't that far to Monterey.

Well, I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and see how I do this weekend. I plan on drinking lots of water and crystal light and I have planned snacks such as whole wheat crackers, cheese/pretzel packs and ginger snaps (for obvious reasons). Hopefully that will all make it worthwhile and I can actually get some diving in.

Do you mostly do shore diving then?

Iamdoodling,
meclizine is also the active ingredient in Bonine. i have frequently used bonine-without drowsiness,and without getting seasick-although I don't get on the boat if the water is too rough (yes,a real weenie!)
I also was given meclizine when I got an inner ear virus, which produced seasick-like symptoms-yup-"feeding the fish" from the privacy of your own bathroom. Anyway, the meclizine worked-and, if I remember correctly, one of the Drs. said it was a type of antihistamine that worked particularly well on on the inner ear-which would explain the help when on a boat.

Any docs out there with professional info??

Good Luck-and smoothe seas,
Mike

So I took my meclizine and I still didn't feel 100%. Weird though as soon as I got underwater it TOTALLY went away. Unfortunately had a very long surface swim back to the boat against the current with lots of swells. :( So I skipped the second dive which of course the husband said was the best.

I think I will try my "regular" dramamine next time and just deal with any sleepiness. Better than skipping a dive and I don't think it will make me too drowsy.

I am mostly frustrated because I have had to cancel dives two times now and I really dislike shore diving so obviously boat diving it my only option.

UGHHHH. Hopefully in April I will have better results. Thanks.

I guess that is the major reason. Also I have a bad knee and it can be difficult for me to get out into the sand after the dive.

I also don't like long surface swims.

I guess you don't mind them???

Back
Top Bottom