meclizine for a barotrauma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upwelling

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The ENT thinks I have a barotrauma (my symptoms are mild dizziness--no ear symptoms, no nausea or anything severe). I was put on meclizine. Does meclizine help cure the barotrauma or just alleviate the symptoms? I would rather put up with the dizziness than deal with the drowsiness caused by the meclizine, especially since I have to drive to work. Also, is there anything OTC the doctors here recommend to help with the barotrauma? thanks

Fix symptoms until you heal. OTC you can use anything used for sea sickness such as dimenhydrinate. For meclizine, you can reduce the dose from what is prescribed to see if that controls the side effect.

if you have a barotrauma, it might not be a good idea to work. better stay at home til you're healthy again.

junko:
The ENT thinks I have a barotrauma (my symptoms are mild dizziness--no ear symptoms, no nausea or anything severe). I was put on meclizine. Does meclizine help cure the barotrauma or just alleviate the symptoms? I would rather put up with the dizziness than deal with the drowsiness caused by the meclizine, especially since I have to drive to work. Also, is there anything OTC the doctors here recommend to help with the barotrauma? thanks

When I took meclizine for my inner ear problem (likely barotrauma as well) it didn't really help at all. Just made me sleepy. I'm wondering if the doc could comment here: since the vestibular system is somehow compromised and the brain is "challenged" as a result of that damage (hence the dizziness and sense of imbalance), does taking a medication to supress the symptoms slow the brain's progress in naturally compensating?

lragsac:
When I took meclizine for my inner ear problem (likely barotrauma as well) it didn't really help at all. Just made me sleepy. I'm wondering if the doc could comment here: since the vestibular system is somehow compromised and the brain is "challenged" as a result of that damage (hence the dizziness and sense of imbalance), does taking a medication to supress the symptoms slow the brain's progress in naturally compensating?
Luckily, no, Iragsac. As analogy there are 2 issues, the sensor and the interpreting software, to represent the middle ear and the brain. If the brain is damaged, the software will re-wire itself to good areas and reestablish the 'program'. If the sensor is defective, it sends invalid information, that the software keeps interpreting as a balance correction, hence the dizziness. Thus, the sensor must be suppressed in someway, such as with drugs.

OK...I'm interpreting your post as that meclizine and the other drugs don't cure the barotrauma, just mask the symptoms. And the injury will just heal on its own naturally over time.

Saturation:
Fix symptoms until you heal. OTC you can use anything used for sea sickness such as dimenhydrinate. For meclizine, you can reduce the dose from what is prescribed to see if that controls the side effect.

junko:
OK...I'm interpreting your post as that meclizine and the other drugs don't cure the barotrauma, just mask the symptoms. And the injury will just heal on its own naturally over time.
Yes, that's right.

On the othe message, Flonase won't help unless the eustachian tubes are blocked; its focused at working at the nasal passages and sinuses.

OK thanks for the info--I guess I will just let it heal on its own over time.

Saturation:
Yes, that's right.

On the othe message, Flonase won't help unless the eustachian tubes are blocked; its focused at working at the nasal passages and sinuses.

You might try adding a 60mg dose of Pseudofed (only). That has some stimulant and decongestant action. Might be of benefit for the barotrauma if there is some inner ear plugging/fluid and ward of a bit of the drownsiness also. This essentially mimics the decongestant/antihistamine (meclizine is an antihisamine) of cold medications.

My wife gets satisfactory results from this when she has to take meclizine for seasickness. She is very sensitive to the drowsiness effects.

Fritz

Back
Top Bottom