Diving AFTER flying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there a "hard and fast" rule about diving AFTER arriving at your dive destination, or is it more left up to your own personal determination?

For example, if I have an Xmas dive trip to Roatan (from LA) and take a late-night flight, arriving in Roatan mid-morning the following day, would you dive that same day(or not?) and if so, what factors would you be particularly attentive to?

Coming from a fairly long flight that crosses time zones, basic things such as jet-lag / fatigue, dehydration (from the flight), and just overall "awareness" might be compromised, and therefore maybe a rather shallow, short (check-out) dive would be best??

Or do you just "play it by ear" and use your best judgement based upon how you feel at that moment?? I guess I want to dive as much as possible in the 7 days I have, but it's not worth taking an unnecessary risk on the first day and jeopardize all the good diving for the remainder of the trip!!

Thoughts? Suggestions??

TIA,
HB

Harley1962:
Is there a "hard and fast" rule about diving AFTER arriving at your dive destination, or is it more left up to your own personal determination?

For example, if I have an Xmas dive trip to Roatan (from LA) and take a late-night flight, arriving in Roatan mid-morning the following day, would you dive that same day(or not?) and if so, what factors would you be particularly attentive to?

Coming from a fairly long flight that crosses time zones, basic things such as jet-lag / fatigue, dehydration (from the flight), and just overall "awareness" might be compromised, and therefore maybe a rather shallow, short (check-out) dive would be best??

Or do you just "play it by ear" and use your best judgement based upon how you feel at that moment?? I guess I want to dive as much as possible in the 7 days I have, but it's not worth taking an unnecessary risk on the first day and jeopardize all the good diving for the remainder of the trip!!

Thoughts? Suggestions??

TIA,
HB

You already have the right attitude!

There are no hard fast rules about diving after flying, but there are many factors such as the ones you mentioned to consider.

Many people do not realize that flying dehydrates you. Dehydration, along with the fatigue and lack of rest from traveling puts you at a much higher risk for DCS.

So, if you (collectively speaking) really MUST dive as soon as you hit the ground in your favorite dive destination make sure that you are very well hydrated, that you have rested well the night before traveling as well as on the plane, and I would recommend nothing more than a shallow check-out dive...and then let the real fun begin the next day.

Have fun and be safe!

Christi:
You already have the right attitude!

There are no hard fast rules about diving after flying, but there are many factors such as the ones you mentioned to consider.

Many people do not realize that flying dehydrates you. Dehydration, along with the fatigue and lack of rest from traveling puts you at a much higher risk for DCS.

So, if you (collectively speaking) really MUST dive as soon as you hit the ground in your favorite dive destination make sure that you are very well hydrated, that you have rested well the night before traveling as well as on the plane, and I would recommend nothing more than a shallow check-out dive...and then let the real fun begin the next day.

Have fun and be safe!

yup, and remember to bring water for the flight to stay hydrated. you will feel much better durring and after if you drink a lot of water, no soda, and no alcohol

I use this chart. I fly for a living and dive on my days off, so I'm a dive-to-fly poster child. This chart has never let me down. Remember though, DCS is a quirky thing. What works for one may not work for another. Hydration and rest go a long way to making the chart work.

I have actually started shaving time off the chart in my own experiment. I won't publish my times, but they are a high percent of those listed in the NOAA guidelines. I've been alternating between diving and flying now for many years without ill effect. Not to say I won't get bitten though.

I did this very thing on my trip to SoCal, i left around 7am, got in around 9am (local times), drank plenty of water on the plane, had a bite to eat (it felt like lunch time to my body clock). I then jumped in the water at noon, 3 and 6pm for some shore diving - i had come to dive that coast! Then dove a bunch the following day before a day off and flight home. Apart from being tired the evening after those first day of dives (most people are after 3 dives and changing 3 hours in time zone), things felt fine, but they were only shallow dives. It different for everyone, but i would think a nice shore dive or shallow dive well within NDL, nice slow ascent and safety stop if you go deep enough are more than enough during the dive, with hydration, energy giving food and rest for the remainder of the day would be enough to keep you from the DCS bullet. I love nothing more than jumping in the water when i get off the plane!! :wink:

I know Special Forces dive after flying, usually not very deep. But like most unusual diving activities the Navy Experimental Team has probably done research on the effects. Anyways it probably would be a good place to start looking for actual hard data, if you can find it.

Good Luck-

JUMBO

Diving after flying isn't the problem. It's flying after diving that will get ya. :)

jumbo:
I know Special Forces dive after flying, usually not very deep. But like most unusual diving activities the Navy Experimental Team has probably done research on the effects. Anyways it probably would be a good place to start looking for actual hard data, if you can find it.

Good Luck-

JUMBO

Harley1962:

Thoughts? Suggestions??

TIA,
HB

HB,

Like Mempilot, flying and diving are two of the major parts of my life. In my case, very long flights are a regular routine.

Your major hazard will be dehydration. What most people do not know, and the airlines do not tell you, is that the air in modern jet aircraft is dryer than the air in the Sahara Desert. This comes about because of the way the a/c and pressurization systems work.

Drink a lot of water, and I do mean a lot. Rest as much as you can on the way (aside from the time you will be visiting the head :wink: ). Eat relatively little. Do not imbibe alcohol (on the flight).

You will feel much better when you get there, and if you are properly hydrated, you can have at the diving right away!

Cheers!

Rob

I guess I win the "He didn't read the post right." award. Sorry, my eyes read fly then dive, but my brain processed dive then fly.

Hydrate and have fun.

BTW, you can read about my "been flying all week, got little sleep, then dived accident" in the Accidents and Incidents forum. It just happened yesterday. I'd take BigJetDriver's advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom