Disk fusion by surgery - impact on diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valwood1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have degenerative arthritis in some neck vertebrae (C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7), as well as a fair amount of bone spurs, all of which are causing compression on the spinal column. The "cure" is a disk fusion, and a lot of chipping away at bone spurs; the fusion will include a titanium plate to connect the vertebrae.

The doctor tells me that the operation will mean "No Diving" for at least one year, and perhaps two or more, while blood vessels form in the bone that grow between the disks. He added that diving before the vessels are correctly formed could be fatal.

Has anyone been through this procedure, and if so, what impact has it had on diving ability? Were you able to dive again after...one year, two years, how long? My diving has been, and would be, limited to mundane sort of stuff, in tropical waters, no dry suits, no inside-the-wreck adventures, no real deep dives (ie, more than 100' except on two or three occasions).

Thanks for your help, and opinions.

Not that I am a doctor, but I may be looking at a spinal fusion for scoliosis, and I was asking the same question, too. Someone put me in touch with a woman who started diving again a year after her surgery. I haven't talked to her in detail yet, but I will try and get in touch with her and come back here and post.

I may be able to answer some of your questions. I had my C-5, C-6 fused about 20 years ago. I am really happy that I was able to have had the operation, The surgeon was a true genius. That being said, it's not the same as new. I was an avid diver a number of years prior to the surgery (an other story) and am planning to take up the sport again this year.
Having a pair of disks fused has somewhat lessened flexibility. An extended neck posture tends to result in numb/ tingling fingers and hands. If I do too much lifting or carrying on my shoulder or whatever the inflamation again leaves the numb/tingling symptoms. Hopefully I'm acquainted enough with my residual symtoms so that I can recognise dcs if it happens.
So far having had this operation has not stopped me from doing pretty much what I've wanted in the way of activities, however I do make some concessions and am a bit more aware of my weaknesses. When I start diving again it will be in familiar tropical waters and with very conservative profiles; from there I'll follow my comfort level.
I hope you have good results. I'm sure that the medical community has advanced considerably since my operation.

Valwood1:
I have degenerative arthritis in some neck vertebrae (C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7), as well as a fair amount of bone spurs, all of which are causing compression on the spinal column. The "cure" is a disk fusion, and a lot of chipping away at bone spurs; the fusion will include a titanium plate to connect the vertebrae.

The doctor tells me that the operation will mean "No Diving" for at least one year, and perhaps two or more, while blood vessels form in the bone that grow between the disks. He added that diving before the vessels are correctly formed could be fatal.

Has anyone been through this procedure, and if so, what impact has it had on diving ability? Were you able to dive again after...one year, two years, how long? My diving has been, and would be, limited to mundane sort of stuff, in tropical waters, no dry suits, no inside-the-wreck adventures, no real deep dives (ie, more than 100' except on two or three occasions).

Thanks for your help, and opinions.

I had fusion done C5-6 and C6-7 on 10 January 2003.

I started diving again on 22 March 2003 (20 meters - 26 minutes, 12 meters - 28 minutes).
Since then I have done well over 100 dives, some in the 40 - 50 meter range.

I have not experienced any problems at all.

The only thing I need to add is that I am fairly fit, and concentrate quite a lot on upper body strength (back, shoulders especially).

Kobus

Back
Top Bottom