First Time Diver - Ear Infection!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't be alone in getting a middle ear infection after my first experience diving??

Nearly 14 days since my first dive in the Indian Ocean and I finally made it to the doc. (I did one dive first day, 2 the next, then another one - ear was getting sore after 2nd dive). I thought at first that it was maybe just sensitivity and not equalising properly. Then with flying home and all ... however, when I started feeling kind of weak (my ears aren't sore now), I decided to have the doc check things out. And so, middle ear infection both ears, slight temperature. Antibiotics should clear it says the doc. She also said there are lots of germs in the ocean that can go for ears. Kind of obvious, I guess.

My question is - for those of you to whom this has happened, is it a trend that continues? Do some have a natural susceptibility? It's kind of putting a dampener on it the prospect of an ear infection after every dive!!

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

My boyfriend's brother had a lot of ear problems when he started diving, but he says his ears are fine now. I had a couple of minor infections when I started, but haven't had any problems since (touch wood, etc). That said, I also know of someone who gave up because of persistent ear problems.

My theory is that it's all a bit stressful for your ears at first, so they're vulnerable to infections. As you get more relaxed, and get better at equalising, your ears should have an easier time.

I am not a doctor, etc (we need a smiley for this).

Get well soon,

Zept

Your chief question is "will this become a recurring problem?"

In true physician fashion, the most accurate answer is "maybe, maybe not"

The archives include a lot of threads on ear problems, but as the most frequent problem in diving medicine, it deserves an occasional review.

There are two types of ear infections afflicting divers. Otitis externa (often called swimmer's ear) is an infection of the ear canal up to and including the outer surface of the eardrum membrane. This most often is noted with drainage from the ear, and pain when the outer portion of the ear is tugged firmly.

The other is otitis media, or middle ear infection. This occurs when fluid in the normally air-filled space in the middle ear becomes infected, usually with local bacteria from the nose and pharynx. The space is between the eardrum and the cochlea, which is the organ that actually senses the sound.

Not a true infection, and the most common type of ear injury from diving, is Barotrauma or "squeeze."

This will also cause a reddened eardrum and fluid (or blood)behind the ear, and can be a confusing factor for those of us that look at a lot of ears but only occasionally see a barotrauma injury.

Barotrauma is less common in those who equalize early and often, and is definitely more of a problem with beginning divers.

Otitis Externa can be often avoided by using drying otic solutions after each dive, such as dome-boro otic drops or a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol (70% Isopropyl) with white vinegar.

Otitis media is predisposed by poor eustachian tube function, and may or may not be a problem long-term. It can often be imroved by use of cortisone nose sprays and oral sudafed. The same things that lead to barotrauma tend to predispose to otitis media, such as colds, allergies, chronic equalizing difficulties.

First, check with your doc to see which type of problem you had, and then discuss with him some possible preventions.

Most people with ear problems can dive, but there are some people where severe problems make diving impractical for them.

Certainly knowing precisely what the problem is and doing what you can to alleviate it makes for more comfortable and safer diving, so you're doing the right thing in looking for ways to avoid recurrence.

Unfortunately, I can't be any more specific without details of the initial exam.

Keep looking for ways to improve your diving comfort and safety.. it's something we should all do.

Dive safe, and blow bubbles in the water, not your ears.
John Reinertson

Back
Top Bottom