Deviated Septum Fix it or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I was at the ENT a few weeks ago for a hearing test related to tinitus from my military days.

He took a look up my nose asked me who wonked me a good one. He sad it was a crooked in there and that if I wanted it fixed he could do it.

Question is, should I do it? I have had no sinus infections like most who have posted on this subject. Only issue is I snore a lot and the only way to equalize that works for me is valsalva.

So, would the surgery help with the equalization?

Brian

I've broken my nose several times in sports. Mostly kicks or punches received in Tae Kwon Do (bad at blocking I guess).

It is worth it to get it fixed. I don't snore anymore, and my snoz is pretty straight. It is defineatly easier for me to breath through my nose after getting it fixed.

I don't see the downside.

If it's causing you problems (like if that's why you can't equalize), I would say consider getting it fixed. If it's not, why bother? No surgery is without risk, so IMO, any potential benefits need to outweigh the risks (and pain!) associated with any procedure....

Wow. My doctor must be terrible. He forgot to mention the risk.

BTW, a deviated septum can cause problems later in life. Polups and such can form. Can get nasty. For the little discomfort involved, it's defineatly worth getting it fixed. It's quick and easy.

This is easier than getting a tooth pulled, and much less painful.

"Septoplasty is a surgical procedure performed entirely through the nostrils, accordingly, no bruising or external signs occur.

The time required for the operation averages about one to one and a half hours, depending on the deviation. It can be done with a local or a general anesthetic, and is usually done on an outpatient basis. After the surgery, nasal packing is inserted to prevent excessive postoperative bleeding."

I've seen more bleeding generated from a British friend of mine brushing his teeth. Read, 'minor nose bleed' is the after effect.

mempilot:
Wow. My doctor must be terrible. He forgot to mention the risk.
I've found that most of the time, I have to ASK what the risks are :11:

Also, for every surgery I've submitted to, I've had to acknowledge (by signing the form) that I am aware there are risks and understand the consequences of those risks...

Ever had a mole removed?

US lawyers can be a bummer, eh?

Snowbear:
I've found that most of the time, I have to ASK what the risks are :11:

Also, for every surgery I've submitted to, I've had to acknowledge (by signing the form) that I am aware there are risks and understand the consequences of those risks...

Nothing is more terrible than going in to get a mole removed and you come out with a new chest. I think that was a Simpson's episode.

Symptoms that can surface from a deviated septum:

Blockage of one or both nostrils
Nasal congestion, sometimes one-sided
Frequent nosebleeds
Frequent sinus infections
At times, facial pain, headaches, postnasal drip

mempilot:
Symptoms that can surface from a deviated septum:

Blockage of one or both nostrils
Nasal congestion, sometimes one-sided
Frequent nosebleeds
Frequent sinus infections
At times, facial pain, headaches, postnasal drip
Uh oh.... those symptoms (except the epistaxis) usually come along when I get a cold.... is there a surgery for that :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom