Relief Band

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Altohugh I am on the dive boat so often I still suffer from motion sickness....but not even that could stop me from diving :D I have tried all brands of pills, different dosages and taking them the night before etc. It worked good for a while but I have gotten sick, while taking the pills, pretty much every time I was on the boat this year.
Can I become imune to the pills? Can I be over my sea sickness and the pills are giving me the trouble?

Now someone has suggested the Relief Band, that a friend of theirs has it and it works great.

Any first hand users or what do our docs think about it?

justleesa:
Altohugh I am on the dive boat so often I still suffer from motion sickness....but not even that could stop me from diving :D I have tried all brands of pills, different dosages and taking them the night before etc. It worked good for a while but I have gotten sick, while taking the pills, pretty much every time I was on the boat this year.
Can I become imune to the pills? Can I be over my sea sickness and the pills are giving me the trouble?

Now someone has suggested the Relief Band, that a friend of theirs has it and it works great.

Any first hand users or what do our docs think about it?

My wife uses one, works great on boats, planes and the car (best money I ever spent). The only drawback is you can't get it wet. They even work if you put them on after getting ill.

I know there is a perscription based patch you can put behind your ear for sea sickness. Kinda like a bandaid that releases a drug (???) and is absorbed through your skin. Ask your Dr. about it, I can't think of the name right now.. eerrrr I see people with that all the time.

I have used those relief bands, (in conjuction with a scop patch), and perhaps I am not the best person to try them out on, but it didn't do a bloody thing other than create a dent on my inner wrist. They are stretchy fabric that's hard to clean the puke off of. :wink:

I have heard they work for some though.

Edit: Sorry, Leesa, I didn't click on your link before posting. I have only tried "Sea Bands", not these that you are asking about. So Nevermind. :blush:

HI Sue! You mean those pressure bands, right? It's a mind over matter thing with those...if you believe hard enough, they'll work :wink:

Thanks for the input Dave. Where did you get yours from? a better deal than what they are offering in the link I posted?

tkrock, I know those! they are good for one week or so. My doc perscribed them, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet....as sometimes I am not always sure if I can get on the boat a couple days in a row or not...would be a waste. Or can I take them off and on again till I get a weeks use out of them?

It's been acouple of years so I don't remember the site, I do remember it was an online drug store (drugstore.com). Remember to get the one with replaceable batteries. I got mine on sale for around $60.00 (with a $5 rebate) it was too good of a deal to pass. Also they have the good housekeeping seal of approval so you aren't risking your money to try them.

Good Luck,
Dave

Lisa, I bought one of those relief bands as well for my blackbeard's trip last november. I think it helped a bit, but I still got seasick from the crossing of the gulf stream. We were getting pounded by 12 foot waves for about 5 hours straight, so I don't think anything could have helped me, but I had it on at the highest setting the whole time. I held out for about 4 hours....

Actually, I'm kinda curious if they work or not. I tried talking a co-worker into purchasing it for their next voyage, but hasn't yet. It is definitely a large expense just to find out it's another scam. It's like the pills, the scopalomine patch, the pressure point bands, the ginger soda, etc, etc.....It's all in the state of mind. If you believe, it will make all the difference in the world. But, if hurl, it's all over.
Personally, I like to suck on the ginger candy.
Good luck. I feel for ya.

Thanks....I have one on order, should be here in a couple of days. I'll let ya'all know how it works :D

Too late for Leesa, but they're $55 on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom