tendon tear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divern

Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question-Do I need to worry about increasing my dcs susceptability with a tear in the supraspinatus tendon? It is small, and while I may eventually need surgery it is under control with exercises to strengthen the shoulder muscles around it. This is not a diving related injury, and I have been in my equipment since I have been rehabing the shoulder. No problems as of yet, but I have a trip to Barbados the end of this month.Thanks.Divern

The risk for DCI in the area of increased vascularity (increased blood vessels and blood flow) associated with the tear probably increases the likelihood that if you were to get DCI it would be more probable to be in the shoulder.

This is not quite the same as saying DCI WILL happen or will only happen there. It can still happen anywhere. There is probably some increased risk, but it is PROBABLY modest. We don't know an absolute degree of risk, only indications that it's more likely.

The simplest answer is to reduce your risk of DCI with conservative profiles, careful safety stops, and avoidance of exercise after dives.

If it were me, I'd probably dive quite conservatively, but I might not let a tear stop me from diving.
I wish I could more clearly quantify the risk, but we don't know definitely.

You and only you can decide whether to dive on a given day.

Dive safe and painless,
John

I

Dear John, Thanks for your response to my question about a supraspinatous tendon tear. I do have some medical background, and can usually think out my own answers, but I always like to check with the experts.....Thanks again. The dive trip is coming up in a few days and I was just reviewing the board and came upon the response once more.....

Diving is a huge stress on your shoulders. I have had 5 shoulders sugeries and my shoulders ache after diving.

If you don't have any pain with the type of extreme shoulder exertion that is in diving, I would not worry about increased risk of DCI.

Keep doing those shoulder exercises-they may look stupid but they work. And work on shoulder flexibility-I have seen many a strong, but tight, rotator cuff muscle tear.

Stay conservative in your profiles if you are concerned.

I have a completly defective shoulder, due to an injury in the army. I dont exactly understand your problem, but from what I can see I have, among other things something like what you have, also including a reduced blood flow into my hand due to pressure on a blood vessel. I consulted a dive doctor regarding it, and his answer was, that while he admits there may be a slight increase of chance to DCS I shouldn't bother myself with it, as it is very small, and as long as I dive safe it should be well factored inside the tables ( the tables do take some factors in them, as they are ment for the shapiest and the unshapiest). I was also advised to workout as much as I can to strengthen the muscle, so it will hold the shoulder better (what the bone can't do to well).

Now like I said- I am not really sure I know what you trouble is (english isn't native to me) but I do think that the advice I recived is a sound one.

Back
Top Bottom