DIY Single Tank Adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of making my own STA, does anyone has drawings and/or details on it? Thanks a ton!!!

My friend thought about it, and came up with using a cut piece of 2" or 3" PVC pipe. It makes sense to me, and I may do it if I switch to a longer tank that would give me first-stage head-bonks.

Bolted in place it should work to center and space a single tank if the BP has the slots for the tank straps.

Mambo Dave:
My friend thought about it, and came up with using a cut piece of 2" or 3" PVC pipe. It makes sense to me, and I may do it if I switch to a longer tank that would give me first-stage head-bonks.

Bolted in place it should work to center and space a single tank if the BP has the slots for the tank straps.

wouldn't the pvc pipe have to much flex and eventually crack and split from wear and tear?

I just made one for my Oxycheq 30 wing. I used 1/16" (I think that's the thickness) of stainless steel sheet and cut it 13" by 3 1/2". The middle is 1" wide and the sides are bent at 30 degrees and about 1 1/4" long. The tank straps go around it and aren't threaded through it like some are. We have a sheet metal bending press too. That's important. Bolted it to the Halcyon plate with the tapered, flat head screws that came with the plate. Used a press to push to screws in to make the tapered holes in the STA plate. The sheet metal bending press seemed to bow the sides out a tiny bit so I had to grind them a bit to make it even. Filed off the sharp edges. I used it yesterday and it works great. Saved me US$60.

Here's mine

regards

MIke D

wunat:
I am thinking of making my own STA, does anyone has drawings and/or details on it? Thanks a ton!!!

amascuba, I would guess it would have flex to it. The flex I'm thinking of would open the "U" a bit upon the loading of the tank straps, but not be otherwise problematic. It probably wouldn't last years, but a year of open water diving out of it sounds plausible.

I made one out of a piece of 8-inch diameter PVC pipe I found as scrap at a construction site. It is very thick and extremely strong. I made it nearly as long as the plate and only 2.5-3.5 inches radially on each side from where it bolts into the plate from the centerline. (In other words. it is less than a semi-circle in cross-section) It is slightly negative and the total weight is probably less than 2 lbs. The pvc pipe is thick enough that it allowed me to countersink the two bolts which hold it to the plate.

A jigsaw cut the pipe easily. I put tabs of silicone sealant on the side of the pipe which contacts the tank to increase friction and allow me to use a single (scubapro) tank cam belt. This allowed me to assemble the plate and wing into one semi-permanent configuration using just two bolts to attach it to the plate. It took me 20 minutes and most of that time was spent looking for bolts and finding the remanant tube of some silicone caulk that was drying up in the garage.

Thanks alot!!! They are all very useful.

Next thing would finding myself a workshop to get things done!!!

DumpsterD, what size tanks are you using? I ask only because it seems that a 7.25 diameter tank would have wiggle room in the curvature of an 8" pipe, while an 8" diameter tank might not.

I use 80 aluminum, 100 aluminum, steel oms 121 they all fit perfect. (Not sure what their respective diameters are) It serves to cradle the tank and prevent it from rolling side to side. The PVC pipe is bolted tightly to the plate, so the exact diameter of the pipe does not really matter since the pipe is less than a semi-circle. I'm reasonably sure it will work for nearly any size tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom