Compressed air tools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DameDykker

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Like most of you I have compressed air avialable :05: in my tanks.

However, I would also like to do some work around the house with compressed air tools. And I don't like to spend the money for a compressor when I have these nice tanks with plenty of air sitting around. I even has an old first stage.

So now my question is: Does anybody know if the threads in the low pressure ports on the first stage (Scubapro) is common enough that you can buy a nipple or what ever is necessary to connect to air tools? BTW I havn't checked the treads on air tool equipment yet. That might also be unusual but I doubt it.

Thank you for your help.

You may be able to find and adapter (brass).

However, you'll need to be able to step down the pressure from about 150psi to the pressure specified by the tool that you are using (usually somewhere in the 60psi range) lest wise you may be blowing out some seals.

Hope this helps.

the K

I just fitted a standard diy compressed air coupling to a LP/inflator hose and an old firststage. in goes the power tool works fine for me
Even under water:D

I actually went a step further. I put an inflator hose with a standard BCD fitting on an old first stage. Then, I got (from Trident) the male fitting for the BDD on a standard thread. I fitted this to a standard female air coupling. (All of my air tools have male fittings.) The net result is that although II have 2 extra cuplings in the system (basicallly as an adapter), I can run my tools off either my compressor or off most any first stage with a lp inflator hose. The adaptor is particularly useful for filling car tires while on dive trip.

I use my second stage, as it cuts air to 120psi and this is range for my air tool,I am using to bulild a UW scooter!

The Kraken:
you may be blowing some seals.
--the K

That's really sick, Krake.

Since the pressure is low, just hack off the end of the hose and use one of those common hose fittings http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42716 These will do. They also sell a small fitting that will give you the same threads after you stuff the "barbed" male end into the hose and secure it with rated hose clamps. Low pressure has never been a problem, Just do it correctly... and always wear safety glasses. :14:

Common trick... cut off the second stage and just use the raw end of the tube to blow up tires.

Kraken- I am reporting you to the ASPCA. Blowing a seal. Man-oh-man.

Thanks for all the positive replys. Now I just need to take my old regulator set to the DIY shop and find the appropiate metric fitting. I just knew there had to be a way to use all that lovely pressurized air. :)

I have been doing it for years and tried several different ways of doing it. Started with the BC tire chuck. Unscrewed the chuck and now had a standard ¼” pipe thread I could use for most items. I threaded a normal shop quick connect onto that. That worked fine for airing up tires or other low volume jobs.

Later I took an old BC hose and just cut the BC quick connect off and hose clamped a barbed fitting in there. Now I had volume.

As for the pressure, most every toll I have runs better at 120~150 PSI then it does at the rated 90 PSI that is some mystery industry standard. Check almost any shop and if you even find a regulator you will usually find someone has cranked it up. If 15+ years of dealing with this stuff I have never blown up a seal. A few older high mileage impact guns have blown a few hammers out, but after what they have been through (years of daily service with minimal service) it wasn’t a surprise. Didn’t really care if it only lasted 8 years instead of 10.

Recently changed to CO2 for my offroad tire and tool air power. I keep that regulator dialed up to 150 PSI and know others who push 175+PSI. Just makes the rattle guns rattle a little harder. May not meat OSHA standards, but that isn’t in a business environment.

I painted a couple of boats with epoxy paint with a gun powered off the 14 scuba tanks I owned. I couldn't get enough amps to run a compressor and the generators that the marina had were junk. so I bought a step-down regulator/gauge from Sears, plumbed it all together, ran out 50 feet of air hose, and sprayed away.
It worked great.

I've been thinking of doing this for my off-roading too. The 4x4 compressor is good for airing up the tyres after a trip, but there's no way it run an air tool. Can't even fill a tank that's suitable for running an airtool.

My plan is to get a cheapo first stage and al tank, and run a LP hose chopped at the end with an air tool fitting clamped on. My only question is what size tank I should go for? Eg, how many 31" tyres can I inflate from 20psi to 35psi, or how long can I run a rattlegun with a 72cf tank?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom