Grommet or Bushing??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I need your expertise...

I am looking for a grommet or bushing kinds of stuff.

My project is to put the double set on the lid like the picture below.

So, I am going to drill two holes on the lid (11" distance) and need to secure the holes with a grommet, bushing, or whatever is appropriate. It should be firmly attached. The thickness of the lid is about 3/16"

What kind of stuff do I have to use to secure the holes?

Thanks in advance,

Tank_on_the_tool_box.jpg

It looks like you have created what is essentially a STA with cam bands to mount the cylinder to the tote, his & hers? Not sure what you mean by doubles.

If you intend to bolt that STA to the top of the lid I would consider using fender washers on the inside. These at washers with BIG outside diameters to disperse the stress. Better still get a metal bar and drill a matching hole pattern, put it inside and sandwich the plastic lid.

Pete

Pete,

The picture isn't mine. Someone did it for a single set... He just used two cam bands, not STA.

I try this idea on the double set.... As you know, the double set has two bolts already.

No,,, not a fender washer.. I would like to have more secure one to cover a whole hole like a grommet...

I

The picture is of my boxes. They are two different size boxes. The larger one in the background.
Hoosier is correct, I only use cam bands slipped through slots cut in the edge of the lid.

If I was going to mount a set of doubles, I would probably attach an 0.25”x5.0”x15.0” aluminum plate on top the inner (thickest) rib. I would use 6 flat head machine screws & nuts with fender washers (S/S) to attach the plate to the lid. Then drill and tap two holes in the plate 11”OC. This would allow easy removal of the studs so that the lid can act as a seat when diving.

Dave

Teamcasa:
The picture is of my boxes. They are two different size boxes. The larger one in the background.
Hoosier is correct, I only use cam bands slipped through slots cut in the edge of the lid.

If I was going to mount a set of doubles, I would probably attach an 0.25”x5.0”x15.0” aluminum plate on top the inner (thickest) rib. I would use 6 flat head machine screws & nuts with fender washers (S/S) to attach the plate to the lid. Then drill and tap two holes in the plate 11”OC. This would allow easy removal of the studs so that the lid can act as a seat when diving.

Dave

Thanks Dave...

I told you that I saved your picture on my reply....:wink:

BTW, why an AL plate?

Do you think the lid isn't solid enough to handle the double set? I am listening....:eyebrow:

My initial thought was to make it simple only with two grommets kind of stuff....

Hmm~~~~ I can't find a right stuff at Mcmaster...

Hoosier:
Thanks Dave...

I told you that I saved your picture on my reply....:wink:

BTW, why an AL plate?

Do you think the lid isn't solid enough to handle the double set? I am listening....:eyebrow:

My initial thought was to make it simple only with two grommets kind of stuff....

Hmm~~~~ I can't find a right stuff at Mcmaster...

The lid is strong - overall. However your hold-down bolts would only have a small purchase. Besides, you would want to remove the studs easily as well.

The plate would make it sturdy and would be able to hold up to rough handling.

OTOH, You could cut slots like my lids and use two ratchet straps insted of cam bands. I used the cam bands so I would always have a spare - one way or the other.

Dave

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom