Christo Lube Alternatives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hugob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I heard that Rocol Fomblin YNX can be an alternative to Christo Lube in <40% regs. Can someone confirm this?

Also, does anybody knows if molykote 111 can be used in reg o-rings (again <40%), or is it only for general o-ring lubrification?

thanks
regards

Are you looking for environmental sealing or o-ring lube? Dow-corning 111 is a fine o-ring lube for <40%, and I know lots of folks that rebuild their own regs that use it for O2 service. For environmentsal sealing, I use what the manufacturer tells me to (christo-lube)

Are you looking for environmental sealing or o-ring lube? Dow-corning 111 is a fine o-ring lube for <40%, and I know lots of folks that rebuild their own regs that use it for O2 service. For environmentsal sealing, I use what the manufacturer tells me to (christo-lube)

Hi Divewookie.
What do you mean be "enviromental sealing"?

Many regulators (atomic, scubapro others?) use silicon or christo-lube in the air space around the spring in the first stage to
1. keep mud, goo, and water out of that air space, and
2. help keep the reg from freezing in cold water dives.
You can tell an environmentally sealed Atomic because the black ring around the first stage is solid instead of having little holes in it.

Many regulators (atomic, scubapro others?) use silicon or christo-lube in the air space around the spring in the first stage to
1. keep mud, goo, and water out of that air space, and
2. help keep the reg from freezing in cold water dives.
You can tell an environmentally sealed Atomic because the black ring around the first stage is solid instead of having little holes in it.

ahh.. ok. txs for clarifying.
I should have said that I'm only considering 2nd stage maintenance.

So, when mantaining 2nd stage, dow 111 can be enough, right? Dow 111 can be 1/6 of the christo lube price....

txs

Hey guys, I am Dave Brancheau from DuPont (just being up front here) and we have a synthetis (PFPE) lubricant called Krytox. My "NRT" line is for O2 service and NRT 8900 is for ambient temperature valve fittings, O Rings. No water washout. Google Krytox, Miller-Stephenson, Ratterman.

www.dupont.com/lubricants

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Hello David,

Welcome to Scuba Board and thank you for being up front with us. I look forward to you input. Please feel free to correct me on this, but I am given to understand that a grease meeting (mil spec) MIL-PRF-27617F, TYPE III should acceptable for O2 use. There are a few manuactures of lubricants that meet this spec, Dupont's Kryton, Christo-lube 111 and 116, Bracote 806 being the ones that come to mind. Unfortunately, they all cost about the same, but a little goes a long way.

But to the OP's question, if you are using a mix less than 40% O2 no need to worry, use a less expensive grease like Parker O-Lube.

couv

It's interesting to note that even though there are a lot of O2-safe lubes on the market, meeting the same or very similar specs, and Krytox was, in the early days of tech diving, usually mentioned in the same breath as Christolube, that just about every reg manufacturer who specifies an O2-compatible grease, now specifies Christolube. Maybe they are all just parroting each other, but seeing as how the O2 lubes all cost roughly the same, and that one tube will last most divers a lifetime, I don't see any point in looking for alternatives to Christolube. Oh, one problem with Krytox is there are a heck of a lot of different grades of it, and I have never managed to get a clear recommendation of which one to use for scuba purposes - when I asked a Dupont rep a few years ago which, I was told "" 240 AC or 240 AD. Or maybe GPL 205 or 206. Or there are a couple others they use."

Re using silicone for <40%, it is also worth noting that most of the reg manufacturers that recommend using O2-compatible lubes recommend it not just for regs that will see high-FO2s, but across the board, on the grounds that it is simply a better all-around lube than the old silicone lubes. Scubapro, for example, says that regs serviced with it show more consistent I.P.s.

Back
Top Bottom