P-Valve Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker

Reaction score
I was musing over the fact, over on the exposure suit forum, that divers used to make their own p-valves (alias Overboard Discharge valves, valves that allow male divers to pee from within a drysuit, while submerged, very handy things!) from about $5 worth of hardware store fittings, and there were several sets of free plans available on the net from doing so, but that when the tech gear companies started selling them all the plans vanished.

Anyhow, we decided to remedy the situation, by posting plans for a simple homebuilt version. There's probably no other single piece of serious dive gear that one can make so easily and cheaply, and save so much - the commercial versions sell for $60-80!

http://www.airspeedpress.com/pvalvepage.html

excellent vance!
looks interesting!

when is the drysuit book coming out?

No, you have to buy the book for that :)

Just kidding. It's right there on the plans. At least, it is now.

Oh,
- no firm date for the Divesuit book - by summer we hope.
- hose really isn't critical. You want something stretchy enough that it makes a good fit on the barb without needing nose clamps, and thick/flexible enough not to collapse if bent.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Vance do you have a source for the check valves that you could share.

GEEZ! Just when I get a load of Si Tech pee valves in from Sweden, too.
:D
The guys I use for a good source for all sorts of plastic fittings, silicone tubing, etc is U.S. Plastics Corp.: http://www.usplastic.com
They have a cute little dispensing valve that you just pinch to get things flowing.
Mini-check valves are under $2, tubing sizes 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4.
1/3lb cracking pressure, so watch out.

Their "plastic balls" make great diffusion media for homebuilt blending sticks.

The guys usually ship same day, or next. Very professional.
(no, I don't own any of their stock):mean:

Oh yah, they also have plastic bolts.

Isn't there a check valve on the nonbalanced version? Thanks Vance.

oxyhacker once bubbled...
I was musing over the fact, over on the exposure suit forum, that divers used to make their own p-valves....

There's an alternative design in the latest issue of the Cave Diving Group newsletter 146 (Jan 2003) p.3-5. Basically its made out of an Apeks cuff dump and a right angle hose connector (the sort you use to plumb in a washing machine). Not on the web but you can buy a copy for £3.50 from the CDG distribution officer - see CDG website for details...

Duncan

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Isn't there a check valve on the nonbalanced version? Thanks Vance.

Its just a tube from the cath to outside. The only means of isolating it is the pee-through bolt.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom