DIY backplate and single tank adapter kits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have made a few different backplates and single tank adapters in the past. The details of those projects can be found at these two links.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/235657-backplate-sta.html

Backplate and STA - The Dive Matrix Forums

I have put together some blanks for the backplates. They are 1/8" aluminum, and are cut to the basic outline. I have marked the center line on the plates, and located (center punched) the bolt holes. They are 11" on center.

For a DIY project, you still have to mark and drill the remaining, webbing slots, and perimeter holes if desired. These still need to be bent, any sheet metal shop or fabrication shop in your town can bend them for a low cost.

The single tank adapter has already been bent for you, the bolt holes have been located and center punched. The cam band slots have already been marked for you. The bend angle of the single tank adapter will be the same bend angle for the center of the back plate, so you have the STA as a bend reference for the back plate.

This is a fairly easy DIY project. The holes are easily drilled with a cordless drill. the slots can be chain drilled with the same cordless drill and drills (drill bits).
After chain drilling the slots, clean and de-burr with a file or dremel tool.

The STA is also 1/8" aluminum.

This is a great DIY project. Aluminum is easily worked with home shop tools.
I've taken care of the hardest part, which is getting the material, and cutting the basic outline. I've even located and marked the bolt holes for you.

The rest is up to you. See the links above for how I did my own projects. There are plenty of others that have done back plate projects as well. Search the forum for more details on how to do it.

These kits are only $30, including shipping. This is for the plate and the already bent Single tank adapter.

I would post this in the classified section, but since this would only be of interest to those interested in a do it yourself project, I listed it here. If this post needs to be moved from this sub-forum, please do so.

The dimensions of the back plate blank is: 15 3/4" tall X 11 1/4" wide X 1/8" thick.
Single tank adapter dimensions: 15 3/4" tall X 4" before bending (4 3/16" after bending) X 1/8" thick.

PM me if you are interested.

-Mitch

Attachments

• IMG00012-20091212-1304.jpg
    IMG00012-20091212-1304.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG00016-20091212-1305.jpg
    IMG00016-20091212-1305.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG00017-20091212-1352.jpg
    IMG00017-20091212-1352.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Not long ago I had access to a laser etcher, I would've been able to engrave anything you wanted.
That would've been kind of cool.

We no longer have it.
I won't be able to machine or etch any text or images.

-Mitch

I've made two backplates in the past. One is 1/8" and the second 0.16" thick (4 mm) for my twin 98's. I'm looking to make a light weight (1/8")travel plate that combines STA slots, and is cut-away in the mid section at the sides for air travel.
Any one got a drawing or seen such an animal?

Mike D

Scroll down to the SS Travel plate.
Wings-BackPlates

Or theres the spare plate/band saw solution.

Mitch, did you make those on a CNC mill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom