Has anyone used SCUBA-FIX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aldijo2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used SCUBA-FIX (http://www.scuba-fix.com)? Recently went diving, and I tore out my bcd inflator valve with the hose. My BCD is in great shape. Does this repair kit work? Or should I just buy a new Bcd, considering this is a life saving gear?

Hello Aldijo2,

Word has it that kit cost around $85, it looks to be a good kit, but you can replace the elbow assembly for much less Plain Elbow Kit - Northeast Scuba Supply

The inner and outer flanges can be purchased for $4 each; and a couple of seals $2 each
Oh ****! BC Parts - Northeast Scuba Supply

Below are links to a couple of threads you may find useful....keep us updated and if you don't mind, please post pictures.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re.../428647-re-replacing-inflator-hose-mount.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...966-bc-bladder-repair-update.html#post4749122

aldijo2, What brand of BC is it? I had a similar problem with a Seaquest. The hole for the seaquest is bigger than most of the fill valves on the market. If I remember the hole is 2-1/4" and the replacement flange is 1-3/4". It looks like making the hole smaller as couv recommends is a good way to go. Then replace the elbow with the corresponding size threads. Let me know how your repair goes.

Last edited:
This is the reply I got from Northeast Scuba Supply: "Alberto, sorry the parts are not available to fix this. I would contact oceanic and see if they do anything about this as it looks like it failed at the weld joint."
I guess I'll just buy a new BCD, should not fool around with this. Below is my BCD.
IMG_0563.jpg

Well, I tried Scuba-fix. So far it has worked very good. After placing the scuba-fix on my bc foe over 24hrs I left it inflated till the next morning. Apparently the dry test was good, no leaks! So the following day I decided to gve it a dive. I have to say I that the thing works. no leaks. The BC did not take water. Below are some after pictures.
IMG_1449.jpgIMG_1447.jpg

I used a Scuba -fix on my Seaquest Balance and on a friend's Seaquest BC and all worked well. I have done about 50 dives since the repair and no problems . Here are a few photos.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I have tried it. In theory and in practice it works great.
There is one thing you must consider though, unless you KNOW the bcd was damaged by mishandling, once one valve has cracked the others are on the way out. The plastic gets brittle with age.
You may well wind up spending $200 for three scuba fix kits. I am going to write to them now and share this.
We brought about 30 bcd`s as shop rentals and after 4 years the first opv let go, I brought a scuba fix, a week later the other dump valve let go.
I am now replacing the fill and dump valves on all of them, as most are in excellent condition, the XL`s have been used less then 20 times and they are failing as fast as the small size bcds which have a couple of hundred dives on them. Needless to say I am not using scuba fixes as the BCD`s cost me $138 each. The manufacturer sent me new opv`s and we are gluing them in with a special epoxy.
Manufacturer has since changed the design to a clamp type, no R.F. welding, For those looking to purchase a bcd, avoid welded in inflators and dumps, you can buy replacements at dive gear express, sadly they are generally smaller then the weld in style.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom