Excel Formula's For Dive Table Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgPaddle

Contributor
Reaction score
Howdy,

This evening a few of my friends will attend their first scuba class. Acting as an unofficial assistant, I've provided each of them with Dive Tables, and a few questions to ensure they understand the flow of the table. I've made a naui styled dive table in excel, but would also like to add some functionality to it so they can check their answers.

I've seen a couple of dive tables tutor's on the net, but I'd like to finish making this one so I can give it to them. I'm not interested in making any money off of it. I just don't want to spend forever, figuring the rest of the formula's up. For example, calcuate SIT time to update your dive group.

If anyone would like to help out, I'd be much appreciative.

Thanks,

Well dude, I'm only a computer programmer hack of a variety (I can "officially" program in C++, V/Basic (who can't), and good Ole Perl........)

Anyhow, it's been way too long, but in VB I'd do some sort of 2 Dim Array of the SI/PG thing........I'm sure there's a way of getting that into Excel (I looked once but never really figured it out) but I don't know how. I've nevr taken any Excel classes to see how it integrates with VB code.

If you can figure that out, to me, that's the easiest way to go. I've done that in VB and it works great, is easily changed (to confrom with other "schedules") as well.

How about posting your excel file so that interested parties can see what they can do to spruce it up? There's not much to go on here...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Gang, here is the basic table. The "in the works" version is at home. Please feel free to change any and everything you'd like. I put the disclaimer on using it for training only because I don't want to be liable should someone attempt to use this for real dives. Also, is there any problems with me even putting a table together based on NAUI numbers? If so, I'll scrub the project completely.

So, without further ado, here's the table and thanks in advance.

I am looking for a dive planer for my laptop. I was thinking of building one in Excel. I am hoping that I am not the first to think of this.

I was looking for the same thing and couldn't find an Excel Dive Planner. I've been looking for free no-copyright dive information and of course the US government is the best place to go.

The attached excel workbook is was prepared using NOAA, Navy based information. It even has some Nitrox 32 and 36 MOD and PO2 information (from NOAA) as well decompression stop information (Navy Based). It is really a bad idea to use this planner for Decompression Dive Planning, since I left out a couple of stop times, (which I mention in the heading). You may safely use air tables to plan Nitrox dives, you have to stay within the Nitrox Maximum Operating Depth or risk death from complication from Oxygen Toxicity. Use the NOAA nitrox 32% and 36% tables instead to plan Nitrox dives. In fact, use the NOAA AIR Tables that are on their website.

The curious thing is that I noticed that (according to NOAA tables) you do change dive groups, even diving in 10 feet of water! If you dive in 25 feet of water for 55 minutes, you end with a dive group C. Does any dive agency warn of diving shallow (above 40 fsw) and allowing us to think there is no penalty?

I was certified by NASDS a long time ago. They only had Navy tables then. So this table is for those who want to fiddle with making one that is based on Navy, not a private organization's. I also added Meter conversions, since if you travel, you'll run into computers having that unit of measure.

Disclaimer
This excel dive planner is for reference only to show how Excel could be used to populate an Excel spreadsheet using NOAA and NAVY tables as a resource. THAT IS ALL. Never dive without proper training. Do not use these tables to plan a dive. Remember that NOAA and Navy divers have to meet strict physical and fitness requirements that recreational divers may not be able to. Therefore using these dive tables, OR ANY OTHER, is no gaurantee that a diver will not get Decompression Sickness. NEVER DIVE USING NITROX without proper training from legitimate certifcation agency.

Attachments

• DIVE PLANNER 2.xls
    49 KB · Views: 1,780
What about just buying a download of v-planner or I-deco?

seems like a lot of work when you can use tables any 'ol place for a recreational dive.

And if you are doing a tech dive, V-planner. It's got a really good track record with an awful lot of dives planned with it.

However if you're doing it -just because-, then good luck to you and enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom