BCD Inflator Flange help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MegaBMan25

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
Hoping you guys can help me out. I want to fit a TUSA APA LP inflator to my Oceanic BCD. Any suggestions? Thinking of doing something like a PVC type pipe union. Threaded on the inside to go around the flange of the BCD and also threaded on the outside to attach the LP inflator elbow.

Thanks

Is this what you are talking about? Can't you unscrew your old inflator and screw this one on?

Yup. However, the part you screw on are different diameters from each other.

If you are real adventurous, you could remove the flange from the bcd and replace it with a different one. This may not work very well as it may be glued in place.

I realize this is the DIY forum, but it is not at all clear to me why you might want this device....even if it DID fit. The text with it says it lets the air in more slowly, and out more quickly. Are either of these a problem? The air goes in very slowly anyway, and either shoulder dump will let it out very quickly. Holding up the LP hose and pushing the button on the end is just not the faster way to dump air.

If you are real adventurous, you could remove the flange from the bcd and replace it with a different one. This may not work very well as it may be glued in place.

probably what i am going to have to do

---------- Post added May 6th, 2014 at 12:38 PM ----------

I realize this is the DIY forum, but it is not at all clear to me why you might want this device....even if it DID fit. The text with it says it lets the air in more slowly, and out more quickly. Are either of these a problem? The air goes in very slowly anyway, and either shoulder dump will let it out very quickly. Holding up the LP hose and pushing the button on the end is just not the faster way to dump air.

My current inflator is no problem. Just a want an "upgrade" and i like the mechanics of how the Tusa A.P.A. works

An upgrade would be to get rid of the pull dump and put a plain elbow with a short corrugated hose (12-16 inches) inflator. Less likely to fail and easier to use.

probably what i am going to have to do

The fitting on the BC is either a compression fitting or glued on. If it is glued on you run the risk of ruining the BC if you can't get a good fit. If it is a compression fitting you may be able to remove the old fitting and replace it with a new one. I know this is a DIY forum but this is something you may want to have a professional do. Maybe someone experienced with dry suit repairs.

If I really wanted this I would try to buy a used Tusa or compatible BC to mount it on and eBay my old one. I think Aqualung BCs also use a larger fitting. I know my Apeks wing has a larger fitting than my other wings do.

The fitting on the BC is either a compression fitting or glued on. If it is glued on you run the risk of ruining the BC if you can't get a good fit. If it is a compression fitting you may be able to remove the old fitting and replace it with a new one. I know this is a DIY forum but this is something you may want to have a professional do. Maybe someone experienced with dry suit repairs.
I disagree. Since this is DIY, we should all give advice (and horror stories about our screw ups) and let the OP worry about how stupid it may be. We are all adults here (most of the time).

If the current fitting is glued (properly), they will be screwed. Worst is that they wreck the BCD. Although, even if it is glued you can cut the flange out, glue in replacement material and pop the replacement flange in. After all, the BCD was manufactured from raw materials. We can also manufacture a repair. Maybe not the exact same techniques, but suitable replacement techniques. I assume the OP does not have an ultrasonic welder, but is able to glue stuff. Maybe.

The only time I consulted a "professional" about a BCD issue I got a song and dance and a "buy a new one" story. I fixed it myself. Lasted 15 years with no issues.

Thanks for the input guys. I drew something up on what i was thinking of doing. I believe my bcd has the fitting glued on. Since i only have the one bcd, not willing to run the risk of ruining it should it fail.View attachment TUSA Inflator to Oceanic BCD Adapter Model (1).pdf

The inner threads would screw around the current fitting allowing the o-ring to still be used, and the outer threads would allow the inflator to be attached. The thickness of the adapter would allow it to be hidden. Also, should there be and issue, i can just take the adapter off and use the OE inflator

Back
Top Bottom