Name those parts (swivels)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave148

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Charlie "Tuna" Curtis installed these swivels on this regulator at Aqua Ventures in Camarillo CA many years ago. Note that the HP port has two bands, and the LP port has a single band. I am trying to determine the make and model of these parts so I can get some more. Does anyone recognize them? I left California in '97, and I've heard that Charlie has retired, so I am hoping someone else recognizes them. I'm nervous about putting anything but the most robust part on a high pressure port.

---------- Post added December 5th, 2014 at 07:15 AM ----------

It looks like I need to learn how to link in a photo from the gallery. Let me try a link this time:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/197148/title/swivels/cat/533

Last edited:
They are both HP swivel adapters...the rings tell you if it is an old 3/8 HP port swivel or a newer 7/16 HP port swivel, They have no place on an LP port (shown in the linked photo) even though the 3/8 thread fits, as the swivel design can restrict the airflow... not good if used on a hose with 2nd stage connected...

They are both HP swivel adapters...the rings tell you if it is an old 3/8 HP port swivel or a newer 7/16 HP port swivel, They have no place on an LP port (shown in the linked photo) even though the 3/8 thread fits, as the swivel design can restrict the airflow... not good if used on a hose with 2nd stage connected...

ummmmmmm.... no (perhaps in days past). Been using them on both HP and LP applications, each specifically for its intended use. Results in no projecting/bowed hoses. There are both HP & LP versions. DGX, LP, VDH, etc. carry them.

links:

7/16" Male to 7/16" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter at LeisurePro

3/8" Male to 3/8" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter at LeisurePro

unlike the ones where the halves of the pivot is held together with a screw, these are not prone to separation. There is an o-ring to monitor though, the same as the one between the hose and the first stage....

The ones in the OP post were both HP swivels...one on a 3/8 LP port and one on an HP port. The central post of the swivel that the outer part swivels on has one hole through it for the air to flow through. If it is 90 degrees to the port and the hole lines up with the outer hole to the hose, the flow is adequate. If it does not (because it swiveled when the hose moved) there is a considerable restriction on air flow that has been cited as the cause of accidents in a couple of reports that I have seen, especially when attached to the long hose in an air share situation. If the Leisure Pro 3/8 swivel has 2 holes set at 90 degrees it might be better, but I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Last edited:
ummmmmmm.... no (perhaps in days past). Been using them on both HP and LP applications, each specifically for its intended use. Results in no projecting/bowed hoses. There are both HP & LP versions. DGX, LP, VDH, etc. carry them.

links:

7/16" Male to 7/16" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter at LeisurePro

3/8" Male to 3/8" Female with Swivel, Regulator Adapter at LeisurePro

unlike the ones where the halves of the pivot is held together with a screw, these are not prone to separation. There is an o-ring to monitor though, the same as the one between the hose and the first stage....

I saw these at leisure pro, but since the photo didn't show the two bands on the 7/16 unit, I assumed they were a different make. Also, at one point at least, the leisure pro rep. said the 7/16" was not for a high pressure application. With this thread size, I assumed he was confused, but I am already nervous putting something marginal on a high pressure port.

Does anyone know anything about this "Aqua" brand? I wouldn't mind finding specifications for torque and o-ring size/durometer.

Dave

It must be decades since any manufacturer used a 3/8" HP port, if ever.

Anyway, swivels such as these are only intended for accessories such as suit/bcd inflation or SPG, they are not intended for breathing through as the flow rate through them is simply not sufficient.

It must be decades since any manufacturer used a 3/8" HP port, if ever.

The first HP ports were 3/8" and you will find plenty of them still in use. About half my active regulators have 3/8" threads and the other 7/16". Some of my hoses are still 3/8", but clearly HP. When they deteriorate they will be replaced and a 3/8 male to 7/16 female adapter used. You are correct it has been some time since the switch, but they certainly were made and still in use.

Anyway, swivels such as these are only intended for accessories such as suit/bcd inflation or SPG, they are not intended for breathing through as the flow rate through them is simply not sufficient.

Really??? I used a couple ganged together to use my SP Mark 7 (honker) with SPG, BC, Drysuit, Oct and primary regulator and never had a problem with enough gas flow. Never saw a disclaimer that they weren't for use with a second stage either. I'm not the only one to use them this way, a first stage with only 2 LP ports often spouts a swivel long before the owner updates to a first stage with more ports. If you have ever looked at the ID of the second stage orifice it doesn't take a large opening to give adequate flow.

The place where flow restriction WOULD be a problem is with a standard BC quick-disconnect (QD) on a BC inflator/regulator combo. But the standard ones don't fit just for that reason.

Hickdive, if you have a reference supporting that they (3/8" LP swivel) aren't intended for the breathing path PLEASE post it.

The first HP ports were 3/8" and you will find plenty of them still in use. About half my active regulators have 3/8" threads and the other 7/16". Some of my hoses are still 3/8", but clearly HP. When they deteriorate they will be replaced and a 3/8 male to 7/16 female adapter used. You are correct it has been some time since the switch, but they certainly were made and still in use.

Really??? I used a couple ganged together to use my SP Mark 7 (honker) with SPG, BC, Drysuit, Oct and primary regulator and never had a problem with enough gas flow. Never saw a disclaimer that they weren't for use with a second stage either. I'm not the only one to use them this way, a first stage with only 2 LP ports often spouts a swivel long before the owner updates to a first stage with more ports. If you have ever looked at the ID of the second stage orifice it doesn't take a large opening to give adequate flow.

The place where flow restriction WOULD be a problem is with a standard BC quick-disconnect (QD) on a BC inflator/regulator combo. But the standard ones don't fit just for that reason.

Hickdive, if you have a reference supporting that they (3/8" LP swivel) aren't intended for the breathing path PLEASE post it.

I forget that in the USA you don't have to comply with EN250.

Put simply, if these were to be used in the supply of air to the diver then they would need to be certified to EN250, they're not.

Frankly, with a Scubapro Mk7, the WOB is so high that introducing a swivel isn't going to make that much of a difference to you.

I didn't realise the OP was about vintage kit, so I'll bow out.

Back
Top Bottom