Harness and/or weight belt modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
One of the things that has always bothered me with the standard scuba harness of a nylon belt and a buckle is threading the soft belt into the buckle.

It may seem like a minor issue, but I learned to dive with 3 finger, 7 mm mittens and even as a young teenager, I wanted the ability to remove and replace my scuba unit (and re-inserting the belt into the buckle was always a pain).

2 weeks ago, I was re-rigging my BP/W with a new harness and normally I use some two-part fiberglass epoxy to saturate the last 2 -3 inches of the belt to make it very stiff and hard (and easy to insert in the buckle by touch).

I was out of resin, so I experimented and used a small 50-cent container of super glue to saturate the end of the webbing. I let is soak into both sides of the belt.

It seems to work great! Takes 2 minutes to do and the end is very resistant to fraying and much easier to handle..

Reactions: Ana
Only problem I could see with that solution is that I don't think that the super glue will hold up to repeated and prolonged immersion in water. I know that the medical version of it, dermabond, will breakdown if exposed to excessive moisture.

I like that, even if it has to be re-applied every so often.
What I've been doing is to cut the last couple of inches into a V so even if it isn't stiff, the narrower end threads easier. I'll find out how will a combination of burnt end with either glue or epoxy does.

Only problem I could see with that solution is that I don't think that the super glue will hold up to repeated and prolonged immersion in water. I know that the medical version of it, dermabond, will breakdown if exposed to excessive moisture.

It may break down, but I kinda doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom