Leaky Calypso Primary, need some help please!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scu8ie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey guys. I got a leaky Aqualung Calypso Primary reg. I changed the MP Seat and the crown and it still leaks a bit. Do you think it might be the spring thats weakened over the poppet or even the locknut? I'm stuck on this one.
Any help will be great, thanks

Have you checked the IP of the first stage? That is the very first thing you should do before even touching a second stage. If the IP is good then the spring is a possibility. The locknut itself is not a possibility but it may be mis adjusted.

What happens when you adjust the orifice? What happens when you adjust the lock nut?

With the lock nut showing no threads, does the leak respond to turning the orifice inwards?

Thanks for the replies,

The IP is good. At about 140 psi.
I can adjust the orifice and still leaks. Just got a minor slight leak.
At the moment I am adjusting the lock nut and then the orifice looking for that sweet spot but can't find it. I have about 3 threads showing but don't know if i should tighten more.
Sometimes I get it right but then when I tap it or give it a shake it starts leaking again.

Thanks for the replies,

The IP is good. At about 140 psi.
I can adjust the orifice and still leaks. Just got a minor slight leak.
At the moment I am adjusting the lock nut and then the orifice looking for that sweet spot but can't find it. I have about 3 threads showing but don't know if i should tighten more.
Sometimes I get it right but then when I tap it or give it a shake it starts leaking again.

My experience is with Scubapro rather than aqualung but tightening the lock nut more should increase the flow, not decrease it. Three threads may be a bit too much and your problem may be that the lever is too high. I like to do initial adjustments with the cover off and then add the front parts and readjust as necessary. Take a look at your lever height and see if backing off on that lock nut stops the leak without lowering the lever too much.

Are you depressing the purge when adjusting the orifice? If not, you may have cut the seat. Also you can flip the seat and use the other side if it hasn't been used already.

Hey guys. I got a leaky Aqualung Calypso Primary reg. I changed the MP Seat and the crown and it still leaks a bit. Do you think it might be the spring that's weakened over the poppet or even the locknut? I'm stuck on this one.
Any help will be great, thanks

This is unfortunately a pretty common problem with the Calypso, especially with the 2010 - today models.

The components are so lousy and therefore there are so many problems that Aqualung had to offer the Calypso with the older model after one or two years.

The older Calypsos (2004 and later) had been to me the best fleet seconds of their times, the 2010 models are incredible crap and I don't get it why they are still on the market.

The problem why you cannot adjust the Calypso lays probably in the valve insert, reversible (part number 128606). That is the part where the poppet goes through.

The plastic (which is BS anyway) is so soft, that even after 50 - 100 dives the poppet has slightly cut into the plastic, leaving the orifice not perfect square anymore.

So the friction is increasing until the poppet does not move to its supposed position anymore. That's also the reason why usually the 2nd is not free flowing when you just turn on the tank valve. But one time pressing the purge button and it's not stopping anymore to slightly free flow anyway how you try to adjust the other components.

If you are lucky just some dirt or minerals are causing the friction and after ultrasonic cleaning it might be okay.

Chances are that it is the valve insert, and if you take it out you probably can see that the orifice is not square anymore, so you need to replace it.

Actually the same problems you might have with the older 2004 Classic model, but there the plastic of the so called Poppet Bearing ( part number 104134) is quite harder, so those problems occur much later (if at all).

I have always a number of either parts in my stock (just today I had to change again one those Valve Inserts).

So check if I might be right. Good luck:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom