Aluminium canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc.collin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

i would like to know for those who have created a canister in aluminum what strategy have you used for the bottom?

have you put some glue, weldering, tool a full cylinder and remove interior..

I used a stock piece of aluminum 76mm with 6.3 wall, machined the ends square and on the base I machined up a piece of delrin and glued it with JB weld. A one piece canister is a big job to bore out, solid rod in the sizes required are expensive and waste a lot of material, a two piece design saves a lot of cash.

Below is a cross section of the machined parts for the canister it seems to work well.
Can cross section.jpg

I have once used old pneumatic cylinders for canister and also for light head . Very DIY friendly , special for battery pack in ''rod '' - 3S . Instead of cap with piston rod I use another blind bottom.

View attachment 202969

Also looks nice - like some METALSUB canisters Products - Cablelights#

I think UTD use AL for their pro level battery canister. The canister is in box shape tho, not cylinder shake

if you start to have humidy in your battery pack... don't think it's a good mix.

delrin don't realy absorb moisture

Back
Top Bottom