3D printing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anybody make any scuba gear with a 3D printer?

I'm thinking about a line cutter that uses standard double edge razor blades, but I'm still learning how to use CAD software.

bunch of stuff for cave diving has been 3d printed, Dive Rite uses one for prototyping rebreather and cave diving parts etc.

Reels, DSV's, cookies/arrows, dust covers/plugs for din regs/valves, etc etc.

ABS (presuming that's what you are printing with) should hold up in salt water. You might want to use a system with a heated plate, that could help the droplets fuse better with each other which could better keep salt water out.

If they degrade too fast you may want to coat the parts with a sealer of some sort (eg epoxy? that rubber coat stuff?).

Or you can prototype on the printer and then send the part off to someone (eg Shapeways).

Anybody make any scuba gear with a 3D printer?

I'm thinking about a line cutter that uses standard double edge razor blades, but I'm still learning how to use CAD software.

Contact me if you need help with the CAD software. Always willing to help a fellow diver.

Barratuna Drafting & Design

I designed a Navboard using AutoCAD 123D (free software) and had it printed using a local printer affiliated with 3D Hubs. It cost me $56.00. I probably should have tried using a CNC for a more durable product. Unfortunately, AutoCAD hadn't released their consumer CNC program yet, and CNC services are not as readily available.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/making-your-own-gear/495837-diy-nav-board.html

There is a person on the Cave Diving Board that does quite a bit of 3D printing. You should browse that board for some tips.

I have designed and printed a tray that holds my compact Canon, my GoPro and a Sola light on a locline arm. I used ABS. It works fine underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom