Dying a watch/computer strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BBlain7

New
Reaction score
Hello, first post here :) Recently I was searching for a dive computer and decided on the cressi leonardo. Amazon seemed to be the cheapest at 249 CAD and free shipping but they only had the pink one at that price, the other colors were $300+. I decided to get it and try to dye the strap black and it worked pretty well so thought I would share how I did it. All I used was a bottle of Rit liquid black clothing dye that cost 5 bucks. I put some water and a table spoon of salt into a small pot then heated it until it was steaming but not boiling, then added half the bottle of dye and the strap. After about an hour it was a darker pink but nowhere near what I wanted so I added the rest of the dye and let it cook for maybe another half hour which made it purple. By that time I needed to go to bed so I shut the stove off and let the strap soak overnight, even without heat it seemed to get a lot darker but still not black. The next day I heated it back up and after an hour or so it was jet black, even after rinsing off the excess dye. I read somewhere that vinegar will cure the dye so I rinsed the strap off in water then soaked it in some vinegar and water for a bit. It seemed to already be cured because no dye seeped off into the solution. I'm very happy how it turned out and the dye seems to be very permanent! Now I have a one of a kind Leonardo strap :D
2rvy4k9.jpg

Hello, first post here :) Recently I was searching for a dive computer and decided on the cressi leonardo. Amazon seemed to be the cheapest at 249 CAD and free shipping but they only had the pink one at that price, the other colors were $300+.

Amazon has some bizzaro pricing when it comes to dive gear. I bought a SEAC mask for $10 and then suddenly it was $40. I had two sets of fins in my cart but didn't pull the trigger because I was unsure of the sizing. When I figured out the correct size suddenly they were 5 times the price. It pays to stalk Amazon and then pounce when they drop the price.

Amazon has some bizzaro pricing when it comes to dive gear. I bought a SEAC mask for $10 and then suddenly it was $40. I had two sets of fins in my cart but didn't pull the trigger because I was unsure of the sizing. When I figured out the correct size suddenly they were 5 times the price. It pays to stalk Amazon and then pounce when they drop the price.
Yes I've noticed that too, just getting a different color can also change the price dramatically. Uncommon colors like pink are usually cheaper.

Yes, I've noticed the same particularly with items sold from Amazon as opposed to Market Place Sellars. I think it's a sales tactic they deliberately use. I've seen prices suddenly go up on items I'm looking at and a few days later drop again, I think it's to entice peple to buy before the price "increases" again.

To the OP, nice job.

Amazon and other retailers use what is sometimes called "demand-based" pricing. They use a computer program that uses a number of factors to set the maximum price. That is why you see differing prices between different locations of the same retailer and why most retailers do not price match to their own stores. Usually this variation is only a few dollars or so. However when a set of fins varies from $20.50 to over $100 over the same week, something is off with the program.

Marketplace sellers are usually more stable but not always. I was looking at a Oceanic Geo and the price jumped from $249 to $399.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom