Tank rack / stabilizer for truck bed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcarter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Up until now I have been blocking tanks in the bed of my truck so they wouldn't roll around. I have never been happy with that, particularly when I only need to haul 1 or 2 and I really don't like carrying them in the cab. Most of the time there are 4 tanks in the back though, so I wanted something that would at a minimum work for 1 - 4.

I had seen several solutions using plastic pipe, but locally could only find standard tees and elbows, none of the specialty fittings. This is what I came up with using tees, 90* and 45* elbows, 1-1/2 pipe:

DSCF7677.jpg

DSCF7680.jpg

DSCF7681.jpg

To ensure the rack itself doesn't move around, I put these "ears" at the tailgate and used a strap to stop it from sliding forward:

DSCF7679.jpg

This will fit my AL80s , HP100s and HP117. The HP tanks are 8". If I need to carry 6 tanks, there is room to move two of the shorter HP tanks to the outside behind the wheel wells.

Today was the trial, loaded 2 tanks + gear in the back before driving to Brockville for work this morning, then to Morrisburg to dive Lock 23 this evening and just arrived back in Ottawa.

Solid as a rock, nothing moved at all, 200km+.

I'm happy with it.

Looks good, simple and effective! If I had a pickup, I'd be all over this. Until then I'll stick to my butchered pool noodles The only thing I'm wondering is; wouldn't it would be easier getting the tanks in/out if they were flipped so the valve is on the tailgate side?

Sure beats my half moon foam tank holder thingys! :D

Nice!

Looks good, simple and effective! If I had a pickup, I'd be all over this. Until then I'll stick to my butchered pool noodles The only thing I'm wondering is; wouldn't it would be easier getting the tanks in/out if they were flipped so the valve is on the tailgate side?

From a safety perspective, if a tank turns into a rocket I want it going out the tailgate, not towards the cab...

They actually slide in / out pretty easy.

Nice... When I get energetic, I may give it a try.

For now, I simply take a ratcheting tie down strap, wrap it around the tanks and cinch it down. I usually take three tanks diving and they don't move in the bed of my truck.

Jim

Pure awesomeness!

That is nice! I still have a small sedan but I have set my tanks up right behind the driver and passenger seats. Then I run a bungee cord around the necks and attach it to the head rests of the seats. I beats the heck out of dragging them out of the trunk!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom