ScubaPro piston spring shims now available from VDH

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ScubaPro piston spring shims now available from VDH.

Just as the title says these hard to obtain items are now available from Bryan at Vintage Scuba - Vintage Scuba Gear at Vintage Double Hose. They are currently listed as "ScubaPro MK 5 Spring Shim Kit" http://vintagedoublehose.com/index.php? ... p/49705228 however, these shims are good on a variety of ScubaPro piston regulators including the MK2, MK5, MK6, MK7, MK8, MK9, MK10, and MK200. I suspect they would also work on the MK15, MK20, and MK25 but I have not verified it. The shims WILL NOT work on the MK3 as this oddball has a spring that will actually fit inside the inside diameter of the shim.

The shim kit comes with 3 each 0.010 inch thickness and 3 each 0.015 thickness shims. My test regulator was a MK5 with a stable intermediate pressure of 130 psi with a -|| ScubaPro soft seat (for lower IP) and no shims installed initially. Adding a single 0.010 shim resulted in an IP increase of 4 psi; a single 0.015 shim increased the IP by 7 psi.

So what makes these items superior to the original shims? The fact that they are available-that's what! Not only are they available, but available in 2 different thicknesses so you can fine tune your favorite piston regulator's IP.

FYI & Gee whiz stuff: The black line on the regulator body is an index mark to return the seat carrier to exactly the same position each time. This helps eliminate double engraving of the soft seat. Additionally, screwing the carrier in or out can affect the IP. SP recommends a maximum of 3 shims. The soft seat mentioned is from a high dollar kit that has 3 seats included. ( -|| for the lowest IP; -| will increase the IP by ~ 4 psi; + will increase by ~ 8 psi over the -|| )....but you won't be needing that high dollar kit now, will you? You can get a quality service kit from Bryan for a much more reasonable price. Of course, if you want a high dollar kit....contact me.
icon_smile.gif

Couv

Last edited:
Update: I've received feedback from some of the Usual Suspects and unfortunately the shims cannot be used in the MK 20/25. I've not received any information on the MK 15 so if any of my DIY brethren or sistren know the answer please speak up.

In the meantime, Bryan has updated the website to reflect the usage on the MK2/200/5/6/7/8/9/10

Cheers,

Couv

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom