Lionfish Container

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
So I was walking around Home Depot today looking for something that would make a good lionfish tube. I didn't want to use of a 5-gal bucket if possible since it seems so unwieldy. I noticed that the in-store bollards have plastic covers on them to protect people/carts from hitting them.

Quick search online and I found:

BollardGard Bollard Covers

So I ordered a bollard cover, cut to 36" (which was free), and with shipping it came out to $49. Then I went on amazon and ordered a pair of stainless steel clasps for $2 (free shipping). Also bought a set of 3 funnels from HD for $3, expecting to use the largest one.

If this works, I'll have a lionfish tube of my own color choice and custom length with removable top for $54.

Will post pictures when complete.

Step 1: $1 funnel (2 quart FloTool) meets carpet knife.

IMG_20151013_204827.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I didn't think lion fish made it to Kansas yet or are you getting ready for global warming? :wink: In all seriousness, it it a good idea. What is the diameter of the bollard cover? I was thinking of something similar except using a large diameter PVC pipe.

ABS is lighter and cheaper than PVC. Both are 10 times less than a bollard cover. A piece of old inner tube stretched over each end, held in place with hose clamps, with a slit cut in one end. Total cost about $5 or free if you get a scrap piece from a plumber or jobsite dumpster.

The bollard cover I got was 7" diameter, but they have different sizes.

I originally looked at PVC and ABS, but Home Depot/Lowes/etc., in my area at least, doesn't carry anything bigger than 4" Inner Diameter (ID) and that's only good for small lionfish which I don't pick up. I also looked into ordering online from different PVC suppliers but they were all $50 or more for a 6" or 8" ID pipe 8' or 10' in length. And I would still have to cap off one end. With the bollard cover, one end is already enclosed so I can just drill some holes on that end to let water out. Make a removable top and handle and I should be good to go.

Not having friends who are plumbers or access to a construction site, this seems like my best option.

Editing this post to incorporate all the changes:

1. Ordered 7" internal diameter bollard cover from the link above, cut to 36", for $33 plus $15 for shipping. Bollard is 3mm thick.

IMG_20151016_143814.jpg

2. Bought a set of 3 different sized funnels (FloTool) from Home Depot for $3 and using the largest, 2-quart one.

FloTool Assorted Funnel (Set of 3)-05068 - The Home Depot

3. Cut the funnel with a carpet knife making slits and also holes at the edge of the slits for stress relief.

IMG_20151017_102455.jpg

4. Drilled holes in the top of the bollard cover to connect the funnel to it with reusable zip ties (3 holes).

Amazon.com: Monoprice Releasable cable tie 6 inch 50LBS, 100pcs/Pack - Black: Electronics (cost $6)

IMG_20151016_150637.jpg

5. Drilled holes in the bottom and sides at angles to let air/water in/out and hopefully the angles will keep the spines from sticking through.

IMG_20151017_100013.jpg

6. Made a long handle using clear tubing and cheap poly rope from HD (see above and below, I think the rope was $5 and the tubing $8).

IMG_20151017_095950.jpg

7. Holding the bottom of the handle close to the end using a 4-way net kind of thing (see step 5 pic), and some loops drilled through the tube w/ some 550 cord. The top part is held close to the opening using loops drilled through the tube. The back side is connected w/ a piece of 550 cord and loops as well.

IMG_20151017_095957.jpg

8. Put two brass clips ($2 each) on it and burned all the ends of the rope/cord.

IMG_20151017_101618.jpg

Next will be putting some loops of surgical tubing around it to act as a pole spear holster and calling it good.

Attachments

• IMG_20151016_143853.jpg
    IMG_20151016_143853.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_20151016_172218.jpg
    IMG_20151016_172218.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
Just a quick thought - removable zip ties. The part that holds the long end has an extended tab that can be depressed and the tie removed.

Perhaps a small screw with a wing nut.

We should have a few. lf you can't find any without too much trouble or expense pm me your address and I can send a few.

Back
Top Bottom