Duct tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran

Geography Police
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How does it do in saltwater?

hdtran:

A number of years, my wife and I have been "big hits" at dedicated dive resrts because we took a roll of duct tape with us. After diving several days, while the dive boat was traveling to the dive site, others noticed that we had duct tape on our toes.
Some laughed at us, but it wasn't long before many were asking if they too could use our duct tape. (while walking on the beach with your dive booties on, our toes were getting raw from the small sand grains that get inside your boots and rub up against your skin) Also, once my wet suit had a tear in it and I used duct tape on it for a couple of days to get us through to the end of the diving week. I have also used duct tape to tape a zipper shut on a dive bag or to identify my bags at the luggage terminal. Duct tape isn't perfect but it gets the job done and has some resistance to saltwater.........but you have to purchase the good kind, not the cheapy stuff.

Duct tape,
Americas tool box :wink: ,

caymaniac

Thanks for the responses! So, in fact, duct tape does stay "stuck" (mostly) when immersed; especially the good stuff. Good to know.

Obligatory off-topic: "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."--Carl Zwanzig

It will also work as a patch on drysuit seals, for a dive or two.

ScubaCarl:
It will also work as a patch on drysuit seals, for a dive or two.

Black vinyl electrician's tape works better than duct tape for drysuit seals, though. It's easier to remove from the latex for getting in and out of the suit, without damaging what's left of the seal. I've had it hold nicely and keep me dry past 100 feet, although I've not really wanted to try it too much deeper.

I think a roll of electrical tape is a must in a save-a-dive kit if you're diving dry.

hdtran:
I use it to label my deco bottles/eanx bottles (i.e. mix %, mod, my name). Hasn't failed me yet. I am now trying to find a use under the water for the only thing more usefull than duct tape above the water....bailing wire.

scubapro50:
better than WD-40 ...... too much water to displace ......

WD-40 quickly breaks down in a salt water environment. Don't use it on your gear or you will have an abrasive instead of a lubricant. You should be able to get an MSDS (Material Saffety Data Sheet) for it and duct tape. It will tell you if there are environmental restrictions and other important fators like flash point and health impacts. Hardware stores may not know where to find the MSDS but their procurement department should. If not, you can always email the manufacturer or a big distributer like McMastercarr or Graco. Law requires manufacturers and other businesses to have them available on request.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom