Project Log: DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ucfdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This thread will be used as a running post for my canister light research. Don't expect this to be done this week, or even this month, as I'm a full time student with a part time job, so my time is limited. Being in the college of engineering, I have several friends who are mechanical engineers and are working at machine shops, so I'll have some resources at my disposal.

My research starts at this site
Steve Cooper's DIY Scuba Gear

Right now I'm leaning towards using LED's, because I'll be doing intro to cave, and I like the whiter light that they give off. HID would be the ultimate goal here, but that's a pricey thing to use for what's essentially a project to keep me entertained when I have down time.

Differences I've decided on from the tutorial
1- I'll be using the rear end of the maglite rather than the plastic stuff he used. I'll use the JB weld around the joining.
2- Since we'll be using LED's, I'll need resistors to make sure the LED's aren't overdriven, and a capacitor to even out the power flow as the battery dies.
3- I'll be using a 24v 3500mAh Nimh battery, down converting that to 12v, so burn time should not be an issue. Chargers for these batteries will be available at any hobby shop for about $20.

Sources for parts (I'll provide links once I find the final materials)-
Mag-lite
Canister
Switch
Capacitor
JB Weld - Around $5 at lowes or home depot
Wiring - Around $1.00/ft at home depot 16/2 SJOOW wire
Cable gland - $7.15 Part # 6907K12 from McMaster-Carr

NOTES-
To calculate the resistor value that you need for a LED to avoid burning it
resistorvalue=(supply voltage - LED voltage) / LED current

I'll be editing this first post, so if you're interested check this out every week or so.

Hey there, I'm attempting a similar project as you so I thought that you might be interested in a few links that I found helpful.

3X5watt - Cave Diver's Forum
This is a link to a thread that contains instructions for making a 3x5W LED module.

3W (9W) LED - Cave Diver's Forum
This is a link to a thread containing pictures and sources for a 3x3W LED light.

http://www.cavediver.net/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=7776&catid=member&imageuser=1963IMG]
This last link is to a picture comparing a 3x5W LED light (left), a 10W HID (centered), and a 3x3W LED (right) at a distance of aprox. 45'

I decided to build a light using 5 - 7 of the 3W LED's. They should be coming in sometime next week and I should be able to start fabrication soon after that. If you want I can send you pics of my progress.

Almost forgot, here is a link to the 3W LED's. They have a built in driver that allows an input voltage anywhere between 3V-18V.

Hey there, I'm attempting a similar project as you so I thought that you might be interested in a few links that I found helpful.

3X5watt - Cave Diver's Forum
This is a link to a thread that contains instructions for making a 3x5W LED module.

3W (9W) LED - Cave Diver's Forum
This is a link to a thread containing pictures and sources for a 3x3W LED light.

http://www.cavediver.net/forum/gallery/showimage.php?i=7776&catid=member&imageuser=1963IMG]
This last link is to a picture comparing a 3x5W LED light (left), a 10W HID (centered), and a 3x3W LED (right) at a distance of aprox. 45'

I decided to build a light using 5 - 7 of the 3W LED's. They should be coming in sometime next week and I should be able to start fabrication soon after that. If you want I can send you pics of my progress.

Almost forgot, here is a link to the 3W LED's. They have a built in driver that allows an input voltage anywhere between 3V-18V.
my email is james aaaatttt jamesg.net, if you can send progress pictures that would be appreciated. My goal here is to be brighter (or as bright) as the 10w HID dive rite, and cheaper.

It should be rather easy to be brighter than a 10W HID, and it is within the realm of possibility to be as bright as a 21W HID.

It should be rather easy to be brighter than a 10W HID, and it is within the realm of possibility to be as bright as a 21W HID.
How far would you say the throw is compared to HID?

BTW, here is a link to a rather nice but expensive battery pack.

The 3x3W modules have a beam angle of ~6º, I don't know what the beam angle of the 5W LED's with that reflector are but from the picture it looks to be ~6º also. Most HID's have a 6º beam. When I get the LED's in I'll calculate the exact beam angle.

Are you retrofitting everything into a mag-lite, or building your own housing?

This looks like a better idea IMHO

Attachments

• lighthead.jpg
    lighthead.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,232
I'm gonna build my own housing. I'm probably gonna use 6061 aluminum and a tempered glass with a rubber gasket. I'm thinking about using some SS braided PTFE hose to connect the head to the canister.

So after everything that you would need purchase and use to assemble these lights how cost efficent is it over an off the shelf unit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom